• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On a serious note...
1 1

77 posts in this topic

Thoughts?

It's important to buy what you love. Letting go can be hard if it is too rare an item though. As far as the DD 9.8, keep in mind it's a toss up, sometimes you have to avoid the speculation of others. I recently traded my midgrade ASM129, with the current uptick in prices due to Netflix, and I'll wait on replacing. It may never come down again, but then I made a gain. Also, I could then save for a lower grade in the future if prices are that secure. Point is the market can speculate then if your holding you could cash in, but it isn't the time to buy in.

Life happens and there is a middle ground somewhere, being comfortable where your at is sometimes askew.

Deep+Thoughts+logo.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Auto correct

What works for me is to realize that I am an addict of buying new comics and that forces me to balance that addiction with making wise as possible use of my dollars.  For example, I will never spend more than 30 dollars at a time on filler issues (those in the 2 to 10 dollar range).  I realize that spending 15 dollars to get a few fillers will have the same satisfaction effect as spending a 100 dollars to get 30 fillers.  If I ever have more than 50 bucks to spend at a single time, I always make sure to get the nicest single book I can find. 

Sometimes it can be hard to resist the temptation of walking out of the LCS with a 200 dollar stack of 50 decent books versus one 200 dollar nice one, but once my collection got past 6 long boxes I don't have that temptation as much anymore.  I will never be in the position that I am buying purely on speculation and not love because there is simply too much out there that I love that I don't have.  

Everything I bought off the racks in the last 30 years was to read, and 90% of it isn't even worth what I paid. I buy low end vintage stuff for the fun of it, not really worrying about it's long term value, but I'd be lying if I said when I'm buying three or four figure books that part of the calculation wasn't that I hope to at least get my money back out of it if and when I sell them. That said, even when I buy books to flip, I only buy what I think is cool in the first place. 

Edited by rjpb

7 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:
24 minutes ago, rjpb said:

when I'm buying three or four figure books that part of the calculation is that I hope to at least get my money back out of it if and when I sell them.

Speculator.

K-VMN4.gif

3 minutes ago, TheFifthHorseman said:
6 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Not even close.

Sorry there's no tongue. I'd have to search the Dark Web to find something like that

wimp komodo vs cobra lizard tongue GIF

On 1/1/2018 at 4:04 PM, NoMan said:

I buy the stuff I like, have fond memories of, like the story and art.  However, I definitely have an eye for cashing out. When I buy something I love I always think is it a wise investment for cashing out purposes. I plan to liquidate my collection several years before my death (hopefully for more then I bought it for) and be buried in a coffin full of cash. 

It would be simpler to just be buried in a coffin full of your comics!

4 minutes ago, adampasz said:
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:04 PM, NoMan said:

I buy the stuff I like, have fond memories of, like the story and art.  However, I definitely have an eye for cashing out. When I buy something I love I always think is it a wise investment for cashing out purposes. I plan to liquidate my collection several years before my death (hopefully for more then I bought it for) and be buried in a coffin full of cash. 

:luhv:  

7 hours ago, adampasz said:

Paper used to make american currency will last WAY longer in a coffin then (than?) the cheap pulp-paper used to make comics. I've factored in leaking embalming fluid and that will make comics break down faster also