• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's cold should I use the covers & When did you sell that cover?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Not sure if this has come up ? But with recent rise of interest and price jumps on coverless GA  keys wondering what the general vibe is on a CGC NG key(s) that have been graded with no cover & being resubmitted with a quality repo cover? I would think its a personal choice/ prefrence.  But does it in anyway add or detract from value IYO? Second  question when was the last time a complete cover & sale of any of the top  5 GA books went up for sale?  Are they still out there in the wild?

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Superman #1

4. All American Comics #16

5. Marvel Comics #1/ Capt America  #1?

Edited by Frank Mozz

I have gotten conflicting information from cgc about submitting them. I asked if I could just place a Coverless inside a repo cover and submit it and they replied “no, it has to be connected if you want it slabbed together”, but I know they have slabbed books with detached and split covers. I don’t know if it changes value( having repo cover or not). Slabbing does remove the chance that it is a faked/ reprinted book, other resto , I would think. Interesting topic.

What's the "recent rise of interest and price jumps on coverless GA keys" you speak of?

Imo coverless with repro cover slabbed is terrible.  If I'm buying it, it's for the interior.   And with repro cover on now you can't even see what you're buying.  

A good looking coverless key NG with nice page quality should sell for more than one hidden behind a repro cover.

But you never know with coverless books in an auction.  Someone might need the interior or the CF or certain pages to complete their book.   If their plan is to complete their book and sell, then they've already calculated how much to spend to make a profit so they can go for high prices.  Same goes with covers.

I find that complete covers (front and back) show up much less than solo front covers, and those seem turn up less than coverless.

I bought a Captain America #1 full cover in 2015.  It was found at an estate sale and went on the cheap side since it was ungraded, had low res pics, and was from a seller who hasn't sold comic books.  I don't recall seeing one since, but I've seen at least 5-6 coverless copies for sale since then.

I'm sure they're many out there still.  Clipped front covers tacked on a wall.  Taken down, put inside a book/stack of papers and forgotten.