• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PG/trim check my Thrilling Comics #70

4 posts in this topic

Would appreciate your thoughts on this book. I tempted fate by posting it in the 'last pickup of 2017' thread in Gold (and gloating a little) before I had it in hand. I have it now, and am deeply suspicious of the cut of the book and the sharp edges. It's also noticeably smaller than another Thrilling I have, as well as being off square.

Thrilling_70.thumb.jpg.62f3a485f49e73a952f60286a1e4c239.jpg

Thrilling_70_back.thumb.jpg.79b579be6e3e324f1b0ee69377c41928.jpg

Here's a close-up of the edge of the back cover with a black backing. I have trouble reconciling what I see there with a production cut.

Thrilling_70_back_2.jpg.81186d8cef8965e180d563b58617a727.jpg

The page edges don't seem to have the 'V' shape either.

It didn't help my mood when two other books from the same seller also look suspicious...

So, collective wisdom: does this book look trimmed to you, or is it funky production?

If the book were trimmed, why would the person leave that obvious piece of pg. sticking out like that?  Optimistically, I would think production error.  But, the only way to know is to get it graded.  If it comes back as a PLOD...ask for a refund. 

It is weird that it has MY initials on the back though.  I've never owned a book like that... lol

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

there is a lot of risk buying raw copies on the internet...make sure u have a refund option and really only buy from great track record sellers who have been around a long time. It's all about getting a great deal but if it looks 2 good 2 b true it usually is. I try to only buy raw copies on the internet because that's where da best deals r....... if u can avoid all the landmines along da way. It's like final exams every time u buy a raw book there's so much work 2 do before u click on that box.

I’ve seen some seriously wonky production miscuts on Xela airbrush covers over the years, so the shape and (maybe) the size of the book don’t scare me off at first glance. But, and I hate to say it as the book looks so nice!... the wobble of the ULC top cover edge combined with the funky back cover edge is a pretty concerning combo, on top of the other issues you cite. :(