• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 100 and Cosmic art?!
2 2

291 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

A number of the ASM 39 pages sold for more than $40k on HA in 2015/2016.  As to whether any were "mediocre" I'll leave to others.

Well, there was the page where Goblin discovered Spidey's secret-identity for the first time ever.....that one was $56k. 

A bunch of Spidey-Goblin battle pages, and a partial splash with them fighting. In looking at these for the first time since the auction I forgot how great this issue was. Man!

23 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

The 39 cover would go for well over 250k....not even close. It would probably be the most expensive single spiderman piece of art ever sold.

I'm sure you're right. The cover to ASM 121 sold in 2013 for $289k. Fair.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-romita-sr-amazing-spider-man-121-the-night-gwen-stacy-died-cover-original-art-marvel-1973-/a/7073-92254.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

And a 100 cover re-creation sold in 2011 for $77,675. :whistle:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-romita-sr-the-amazing-spider-man-100-cover-re-creation-original-art-1994-/a/7036-92223.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by PhilipB2k17

3 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I had forgotten all about that one......that thing was HUGE.

It's almost double in size to the real 100 cover. 

16 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Well, there was the page where Goblin discovered Spidey's secret-identity for the first time ever.....that one was $56k. 

A bunch of Spidey-Goblin battle pages, and a partial splash with them fighting. In looking at these for the first time since the auction I forgot how great this issue was. Man!

This Peter-out-of-costume, Aunt May dominant panel page (admittedly the Goblin appears in one panel) went for 40K in 2015. It's from ASM #39, so somebody paid a premium for the cache of having a page from a Key book.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-romita-sr-and-mike-esposito-amazing-spider-man-39-page-17-green-goblin-original-art-marvel-1966-/a/7152-92199.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 minute ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

This Peter-out-of-costume, Aunt May dominant panel page (admittedly the Goblin appears in one panel) went for 40K in 2015.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-romita-sr-and-mike-esposito-amazing-spider-man-39-page-17-green-goblin-original-art-marvel-1966-/a/7152-92199.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

lol

You have no future in promotional copy-writing. 

That's how you describe "this" page?

5a5fbc6867016_asm39.jpg.9f94091416c54f5054062be21d23971c.jpg

That's 2 panels of GG chasing down PP (costume showing at least) and a full 1/3 of the page panel with Gobby in the glider trying to zap him.

You could do a lot worse than this page. 

3 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Now that the real cover has surfaced, that re-creation has to go down in value, right?

I wonder how the value ever got so high. 

People knew the original cover was out there, it had sold years before the recreation did. It's not like people could assume the real one was lost or destroyed. 

Just now, comix4fun said:

lol

That's 2 panels of GG chasing down PP (costume showing at least) and a full 1/3 of the page panel with Gobby in the glider trying to zap him.

Well, sure.

It could be this page, which only sold for $30K.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/john-romita-sr-amazing-spider-man-43-story-page-14-original-art-marvel-1966-/a/7163-93196.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Well, there's your "mediocre" page, but it's $30k. 

I think this one got to where it did due to some very dedicated and relatively well-known MJ art collectors out there. 

2 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Well, there's your "mediocre" page, but it's $30k. 

I think this one got to where it did due to some very dedicated and relatively well-known MJ art collectors out there. 

What's funny is that the earliest Romita Spidey pages are where he's aping Ditko's style more. He later evolves, obviously. And he just can't bring himself to draw women like Ditko.

What's funny is that the earliest Romita Spidey pages are where he's aping Ditko's style more. He later evolves, obviously. And he just can't bring himself to draw women like Ditko.

I think it was probably all those Romance comics issues he worked on. He got really good at drawing women. 

6 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

lol

I'm not knocking this at all, it's really nice and price is...price (top bid wins, the most by definition). But objectively there is only one really good panel and a second kinda/sorta/butmaybenot and in both cases Gobby's back is to you. No Spidey costume (really, no). There are a lot of reasons to mark this one down, but still very nice. Haven't looked the book over in decades though so no idea how it compares to other panel pages from the same book.

8 minutes ago, vodou said:

I'm not knocking this at all, it's really nice and price is...price (top bid wins, the most by definition). But objectively there is only one really good panel and a second kinda/sorta/butmaybenot and in both cases Gobby's back is to you. No Spidey costume (really, no). There are a lot of reasons to mark this one down, but still very nice. Haven't looked the book over in decades though so no idea how it compares to other panel pages from the same book.

Well, the primo battle page from this issue (Spidey costume in that one, kinda...or not) and Gobby where you can see his face...little bit bigger battle panel (half the page or so) and it was almost $90k.

5a5fc0feef8a6_asm392.jpg.58e39d2601aca359d8c7dfb4d81887b8.jpg

So the other one was half price for all the reasons you mention...and I see a spider on his chest in panel 5, yes. lol 

Edited by comix4fun

9 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Well, the primo battle page from this issue (Spidey costume in that one, kinda...or not) and Gobby where you can see his face...little bit bigger battle panel (half the page or so) and it was almost $90k.

So the other one was half price for all the reasons you mention...and I see a spider on his chest in panel 5, yes. lol 

A Spider visible on Peter's chest isn't the same as, say, Clark Kent with an "S" on his chest showing through an open shirt. The latter is a much more iconic image.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

A Spider visible on Peter's chest isn't the same as, say, Clark Kent with an "S" on his chest showing through an open shirt. The latter is a much more iconic image.

Of course, I agree. However, this was the "Peter's secret identity discovered" issue. It's the first time he could fight, all the way out, against an enemy without covering his face. 

An enemy that knew who he was, and could hurt him and all the people he loved, and the reason for hiding his face to begin with.

It was a conscious decision in plotting and storytelling to do this, for this issue. 

So the pages with Peter fighting, as Peter (with the little spider showing) are permanently burned into fan's brains for eternity. 

Nothing about Peter being out of full costume, for this particular issue, is really a detractor...at least thematically. 

On 2018-01-16 at 12:53 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

This piece goes to my whole "John Romita Spider-Man art is overvalued" argument. That this cover would go for $300K, or even $250K, is silly to me. But, I suppose if there are two or 3 hobbyists willing to pay that kind of coin for this stuff (and they are not close to retirement or death), anyone who has these pieces should cash in now, while they can.

Let’s call a spade a spade...   Mike has admitted to bidding on pieces of his when he feels they are undervalued.   Mike likes Romita.    Is there any reason to think he doesn’t act to ensure prices go a certain way?    If he overbids by 10k and sets a new data point on a page which he has 50 comparable examples for, has he “lost” or has he just increased the value of his entire inventory?    IMO the only reason Romita is in the conversation with Ditko is because his prices are getting to be in the ballpark.    I would argue that one potential reason for prices being in the ballpark is Mikes holdings.     I have no idea; this is all utter speculation.    But if Romita feels overvalued, well, not only do I agree but also I can think of at least one reason why auction prices might get pushed up on this material over time.   

I really don’t have a problem with it either.    Guess what folks people shill and press and doctor comic books too.    Breaking news I know!    Of course there are people playing games with managing valuations on markets they are deep in.    To expect anything less would be naive .

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

Double the good panel = double the price + NO AUNT MAY = +25k :) , 90k = steal!!