• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Reader #16

4 posts in this topic

Hey there, I figured I would ask the forums because I have never heard of "The Comic Reader" and I have a chance to buy one. Are these collectible, meaning do people actually buy them quite frequently? Is it really just a bunch of stapled pieces of paper together? I have a chance to purchase #16 and its in VF- condition for $10. I think that I could probably flip it for double or triple my money from some of the prices I've found. However, I don't know if these things are very desirable or really much information. 

At the time, the comic reader was between 6-10 pages of the old fashioned blue mimeo printing and hand stapled. At the beginning it was not a slick comic looking book, it's a homemade fanzine cranked out in a basement by fans (Jerry Bails  "the father of Comic Book Fandom" specifically). Probably made around 1963, condition would be really important. These type fanzines can fade to the point of being unreadable. A quick search on ebay shows copies in the same time period have gone between $9.99 and $37.00. I wouldn't buy it with the specific idea of flipping, it's a limited market. For $10 it is a cool little piece of history if you're into that sort of collectible.

Edited by boomtown