• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone know the very first comic printed by Valiant?

9 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Key Collector Comics said:

Does anyone know which comic was first printed by Valiant?  It might be one pictured in the images but not entirely sure

NintendoComicsSystemSneakPreview.jpg

632eda1e2dc44f090508d918512753fa_l.jpg

Cant you ask them directly? Were there no records transfers to VEI when they were founded?

And yes, the preview.

3 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

I always thought it was the Comics System Preview.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Cant you ask them directly? Were there no records transfers to VEI when they were founded?

And yes, the preview.

I was told it was the one in the image, Super Mario Limited Edition #1.  I DID speak to someone at Valiant and the pre-superhero comic info was not tracked in massive detail as the company was just getting started.  

untitled.png

11 hours ago, Key Collector Comics said:

I was told it was the one in the image, Super Mario Limited Edition #1.  I DID speak to someone at Valiant and the pre-superhero comic info was not tracked in massive detail as the company was just getting started.  

untitled.png

The preview was released as early as 1989. The one above is April 1990.

@valiantman can confirm better I'm sure.

The sneak preview was earliest, but it wasn't a normal comic. It has no cover price. It's about 8 pages. You couldn't order it.  It's a (literal) preview.

Super Mario Bros Special Edition is a full pages comic with a cover price and it was orderable from comic shops.

It's always debatable, but unorderable, no cover price, super thin preview comics don't normally count as "fully 100% the first real thing".

The Nintendo comics weren't part of the Valiant universe, though.  I think that's important to note.  Magnus #1 was the first comic of the Valiant universe. Nintendo (and wrestling, and Spaghetti-Os, and Kraft Mac and Cheese, and KFC) comics were fundraisers for Valiant... they were hired work to raise money to publish Valiant.

They are still important comics because they are Nintendo in the early 1990s, very early video game comics, but they weren't Valiant creations, they were Valiant obligations.

For Valiant fans, I would think that the first Valiant comic created for the Valiant universe (start of the career) means more than which comics were only produced to raise money (jobs you had in high school).

Edited by valiantman

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

The sneak preview was earliest, but it wasn't a normal comic. It has no cover price. It's about 8 pages. You couldn't order it.  It's a (literal) preview.

Super Mario Bros Special Edition is a full pages comic with a cover price and it was orderable from comic shops.

It's always debatable, but unorderable, no cover price, super thin preview comics don't normally count as "fully 100% the first real thing".

The Nintendo comics weren't part of the Valiant universe, though.  I think that's important to note.  Magnus #1 was the first comic of the Valiant universe. Nintendo (and wrestling, and Spaghetti-Os, and Kraft Mac and Cheese, and KFC) comics were fundraisers for Valiant... they were hired work to raise money to publish Valiant.

They are still important comics because they are Nintendo in the early 1990s, very early video game comics, but they weren't Valiant creations, they were Valiant obligations.

For Valiant fans, I would think that the first Valiant comic created for the Valiant universe (start of the career) means more than which comics were only produced to raise money (jobs you had in high school).

Thanks. I'm seeing that the preview may have been included in Comic Buyers Guide?

In regard to being Valiant "creations" Magus, Solar and Turok were not Valiant creations either, obviously. Wouldn't Harbinger be the first?

Edited by ygogolak

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Thanks. I'm seeing that the preview may have been included in Comic Buyers Guide?

In regard to being Valiant "creations" Magus, Solar and Turok were not Valiant creations either, obviously. Wouldn't Harbinger be the first?

Magnus and Solar weren't Valiant original creations, but they were specifically the launch of the Valiant Universe.  The first "Valiant comic" (which reflected what Valiant chose to do, not what they were obligated to do) was Magnus #1 (May 1991).  

Rai was the first original Valiant character created, appearing in Magnus #5 (after being on a trading card in Magnus #4).  Toyo Harada (big baddie) first appeared soon after in Solar #3.  A "lesser" style of X-O armor appeared in Magnus #7.

Following those original creations, the first original Valiant title launched was Harbinger #1 (January 1992).

Turok didn't appear until Magnus #12, so even though it was the oldest character (first appearing in 1954), there was a lot of the original Valiant Universe in place before Turok popped in.

Edited by valiantman