• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good or Bad time to buy silver age
1 1

93 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2018 at 10:39 AM, 1Cool said:

Stocks are up - wages seem to be on the rise - people seem to have some disposable income so things should be good for the time being.  Tons of collectors are just hitting their 40s so I don't see things slowing down for awhile but if you are hoping the rule of 25 will kick in 20 years from now I think you will be surprised on the outcome in 2037.  But like you said - it's all guesses at this point and what do I know about the future.

Not sure the stock market has any relationship with the comic collecting universe as those conditions have existed for a number of years now. In fact this has always been a fringe hobby that most of the time has nothing to do with macroeconomics. Only thing that can possibly effect the hobby would be a 2008 type economic shock where people freak out. 

As long as these characters exist there will always be a desire for important books  IMO. That'll only be augmented with the newly strengthened MCU doing it's thing.

On 1/10/2018 at 3:15 PM, comics4all said:

I feel bad for the guy who has invested a ton of $ in the best Roy Rogers collection hoping to sell it for a tidy profit one day! 

Be thankful for those MTG players I don't think a LCS could stay in business these days without them!

About a decade ago I was actively looking for high grade RR comics.  What was I thinking? :insane:

On 1/11/2018 at 11:15 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Only thing that can possibly effect the hobby would be a 2008 type economic shock where people freak out. 

Actually since that did happen in 2008 just about all Marvel silver age keys have doubled in price. If the historical collapse of 2008 couldn't stop the rise in prices of silver age keys we will find then the trajectory points to be continued upward for Marvel silver age keys.

On 1/11/2018 at 5:12 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I don't think the DC CW shows will last. How many of them will be around in 5 years? I think the DC keys are the ones that hit their peak.

by 2023 Arrow,Flash and Supegirl most likely will be off the air, and the DC Universe movies that come out always do worst box office than the ones before. 

Other than Batman keys none of the DC heroes are safe bets.

Two sleepers for me though would be New Teen Tians #2(Deathstroke) and Omega Men #3(Lobo).

They seem to be more modern and fit in better than the DC Silver Age heroes.

If you are buying silver age books because of a movie or television presence, you're gonna have a bad time.

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Actually since that did happen in 2008 just about all Marvel silver age keys have doubled in price. If the historical collapse of 2008 couldn't stop the rise in prices of silver age keys we will find then the trajectory points to be continued upward for Marvel silver age keys.

I hope you're right! I think the main factor in any valuation increases occurred as a result of Hollywood making superhero movies. 2002 Spider-man movie was a game changing event in my view. These movies may create artificial highs followed by dips but they help in the long run. We should all be thankful for the MCU

On 1/13/2018 at 10:49 AM, gadzukes said:

About a decade ago I was actively looking for high grade RR comics.  What was I thinking? :insane:

the same thing we all do: you look for something you think is valuable, maybe you can flip if you want but it is rare that we pick up 30 copies of the "hot " comic!

On 1/11/2018 at 7:52 PM, Alf Pogs said:

It's always a good time to buy Silver Age if you love it and have the $$$$.  Or if the LCS has a 50% off sale or a guy is dumping his collection at a yard sale.

I dream of finding some key books at a yard sale! Never happens!

It's always some guy with 50 copies of xforce 1!

5 minutes ago, comics4all said:

I dream of finding some key books at a yard sale! Never happens!

It's always some guy with 50 copies of xforce 1!

lol

And have you seen the prices for 9.8 x-force 1's .... :baiting:

On 1/11/2018 at 11:01 AM, darkstar said:

Like the FF 52 in 9.8 that saw a drop in sales price by 40,000 dollars?

I don't think you have your facts right. There was a recent sale on E-Bay, which you may be referring to, for 51K that turned out to be a 'fake' sale. I think the last real sale of a 9.8 was for 66K.  The single highest sale(90K) was 1) The Curator Pedigree which always commands a premium. 2) Was not in auction but taken in a BIN. 3)  I heard it was not an all cash deal but a trade brokered by Clink. So, roughly one can say there was a 24K 'drop' in price but not exactly an apples to apples situation. There are still only 5 copies in 9.8, so there are no recent sales. I think this book is fine and should NOT be included in a discussion of a SA key that is declining. In fact, in other grades, the book is very strong.

11 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol

And have you seen the prices for 9.8 x-force 1's .... :baiting:

Probably a tough book to get a 9.8 due to the poly bag.  I've always like the cover but it is everywhere in multiples.

On 1/13/2018 at 2:01 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I hope you're right! I think the main factor in any valuation increases occurred as a result of Hollywood making superhero movies. 2002 Spider-man movie was a game changing event in my view. These movies may create artificial highs followed by dips but they help in the long run. We should all be thankful for the MCU

It is like that in a lot of hobbies since 2008. The desirable keys have gone up and the run of mill common stuff have gone down.

In Star Wars action figures the carded 12 backs have risen in value.

In Magic the Gathering the Power of Nine have risen in value.

In sportscards the Mickey Mantle and Tom Brady rookie cards have risen in value.

In books the first printings of James Bond and Harry Potter have risen in value.

In videogames the first Zelda, Metroid and Megaman have risen in value.

Collectors want the keys. It is as simple as that. 

No rocket science knowledge required.

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

It is like that in a lot of hobbies since 2008. The desirable keys have gone up and the run of mill common stuff have gone down.

In Star Wars action figures the carded 12 backs have risen in value.

In Magic the Gathering the Power of Nine have risen in value.

In sportscards the Mickey Mantle and Tom Brady rookie cards have risen in value.

In books the first printings of James Bond and Harry Potter have risen in value.

In videogames the first Zelda, Metroid and Megaman have risen in value.

Collectors want the keys. It is as simple as that. 

No rocket science knowledge required.

Mantle rookie is still going up? Wow that's crazy! Don't follow baseball cards too much although I still have a Lou Brock rookie card from '62 I bought in early 90's

On 1/13/2018 at 11:17 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Books were not selling for highs in 2008. If you look at a book like Conan #1 it was a $4k book in 2007. (No sales in 2008) It wasn't until 5 years later (2013) that it started to rise in price. (minus an outlier sale in 2009 for $8300 ???)