• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good or Bad time to buy silver age
1 1

93 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, comics4all said:

With all the movies/TV shows etc prices on GA/SA have skyrocketed 

After Hollywood stops putting out Superhero Movies and Older collectors get out of the hobby will the younger generation still want to buy key GA & SA books?

If they grew into this hobby purchasing comics online only or just buying TPB's will they not care about the having a physical copy of the 1st appearance of their favorite character the way we do?

1. It is never a bad time to buy Marvel Silver Age keys. They are the blue-chips.

2. Hollywood will not stop putting out superhero movies,  in fact expect many more now with Disney buying Fox. Disney needs programming for it's future streaming service.  Also 6 of the top 11 movies at the box office were superhero movies in 2017.

So inconclusion buy as many Marvel silver age keys as you can now,as well as other Marvel keys in any condition. The prices you see now will seem like a bargain in 5 years.  Remember though only Marvel keys for the safe bet.  If you are going to buy any DC than stick to Batman keys.

Good luck.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

14 hours ago, gadzukes said:

You know..... sooner or later HUlk and Wolverine are going to meet on the big screen.  Can you imagine what that's going to do to H181

I say going forward H181 along with AF #15 are the safest bets. Better buying them than putting the same amount of money in a bank savings account.

2 hours ago, paul747 said:

The 1st Iron man Was TOS #39 Not JIM #83:baiting: Second You statement  to general Price inflation and price jumps are greater in higher grades. In many cases higher grade supply on major silver age keys have not grown much in the last ten years and prices have.  most silver age keys in 7.5/8.0 or higher are relatively rare compared to the lower grade ones.  There is 120+ copies of the first appearance of Iron man over 8.0 you don't think there will generally be a market for 120 copies of this classic Key issue? I do And I think price appreciation is also still going to happen.   If you look at the difference between 2008 (the first iron man movie) and 2016 the last year with multiple GPA sales history its really not that crazy.

(3) $16,999Hi $13,500Lo
      Dec-26-2016 $16,999 Cert# 1215636001  
      Jul-03-2016 $13,500 Cert# 1209685003  
      Jan-31-2016 $13,755  
  (5) $11,667Hi $8,000Lo
      Jun-20-2008 $11,667 Cert# 0901122002      
      May-31-2008 $8,000 Cert# 0905376001  
      May-25-2008 $9,600 Cert# 0805238002  
      May-22-2008 $10,755 Cert# 0910171008  
      May-18-2008 $10,100

I know Im 1st appearance was TOS 39, Another board memebr had said they had gotten TOS 39 mid grade for $200 in 2000, so I just wanted to use a different SA key wouldn't have been hot before then.

Cheers!

:tink:

2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

This is the bigger question that I keep wondering. As things go increasingly digital, will humanity (at least in the West) lose that connection with something tangible and accumulate-able aside from files in a directory. I'm already getting that way with photos and videos. It seems also that new real estate is getting smaller yet more expensive as you get near the city, so even having enough space to store physical items may increasingly be a burden for millennials and beyond. The other side of the coin is that Asian/Middle Eastern cultures may only recently be discovering (or only recently have access to..) our collectibles thanks to the internet (and healthier economies) whereas before the cultural emphasis was probably more spiritual -- the Asian markets are buying up American pop culture but the more Westernized ME markets are as well and they both have big money players involved!.

To the original question, my representative sample is fairly isolated, but SA DC seems to still be on the rise and sought-after. Overall GA is definitely where it's at right now as it seems any issue in any grade is desirable. SA Marvel may have leveled out or even dropped off as Lizzy stated and there is enough out there to create a glut, but it's cyclical, I'm sure. As I look through a huge SA/BA personal collection I'm cataloging, I'm just amazed how much depth there is across so many titles. Just tons of classic storylines everywhere. I think there's plenty of quality stuff to be appreciated as long as there's something to keep them relevant (movies, TPB's, etc.... even conversations on these boards give me the itch to seek out those old issues). Comics also have the advantage of being in and of themselves a collectible form of entertainment: Movies, TV and Music aren't as immediately "collectible", beyond just buying a physical copy of said movie, show or song (and those don't typically have much value unless something is out of print). Beyond that you're maybe looking at props, posters or other ephemera to get that connection with the form of entertainment, so I think comics are more immediate and gratifying in that sense.

agreed

This is what I think about milleninals & younger: I can't imagine too many of them looking  a copy of IH 181 & paying  a big chunk of change when they can  download this to their phone for 99c!

2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

This is the bigger question that I keep wondering. As things go increasingly digital, will humanity (at least in the West) lose that connection with something tangible and accumulate-able aside from files in a directory. I'm already getting that way with photos and videos. It seems also that new real estate is getting smaller yet more expensive as you get near the city, so even having enough space to store physical items may increasingly be a burden for millennials and beyond. The other side of the coin is that Asian/Middle Eastern cultures may only recently be discovering (or only recently have access to..) our collectibles thanks to the internet (and healthier economies) whereas before the cultural emphasis was probably more spiritual -- the Asian markets are buying up American pop culture but the more Westernized ME markets are as well and they both have big money players involved!.

To the original question, my representative sample is fairly isolated, but SA DC seems to still be on the rise and sought-after. Overall GA is definitely where it's at right now as it seems any issue in any grade is desirable. SA Marvel may have leveled out or even dropped off as Lizzy stated and there is enough out there to create a glut, but it's cyclical, I'm sure. As I look through a huge SA/BA personal collection I'm cataloging, I'm just amazed how much depth there is across so many titles. Just tons of classic storylines everywhere. I think there's plenty of quality stuff to be appreciated as long as there's something to keep them relevant (movies, TPB's, etc.... even conversations on these boards give me the itch to seek out those old issues). Comics also have the advantage of being in and of themselves a collectible form of entertainment: Movies, TV and Music aren't as immediately "collectible", beyond just buying a physical copy of said movie, show or song (and those don't typically have much value unless something is out of print). Beyond that you're maybe looking at props, posters or other ephemera to get that connection with the form of entertainment, so I think comics are more immediate and gratifying in that sense.

Foreign markets have also accounted for some rise in prices along with the media

The number of collectors may not explode to keep pace with the industry but let us not forget that this hobby was originally something more or less under the radar. There will always be some level of - to put it bluntly - "nerd factor" of people who are simply into this stuff. Yeah sure-- the movies and exposure have made it go a little over the top in  the mainstream currently. But I can still see more people coming along who seek out these old books and collect them like many of us did. Basically, this has been a fringe type of hobby since inception-- so how millennial age or newer kids who come along act will not be as drastic as some might think. It might shrink over time sure-- but there will always be some level of collecting going on.

just an opinion

34 minutes ago, comics4all said:

I know Im 1st appearance was TOS 39, Another board memebr had said they had gotten TOS 39 mid grade for $200 in 2000, so I just wanted to use a different SA key wouldn't have been hot before then.

Cheers!

:tink:

A mid-grade TOS 39 for $200 in 2000 was a fluke event. That was not market. That was a tremendous deal, even at that time.

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

The number of collectors may not explode to keep pace with the industry but let us not forget that this hobby was originally something more or less under the radar. There will always be some level of - to put it bluntly - "nerd factor" of people who are simply into this stuff. Yeah sure-- the movies and exposure have made it go a little over the top in  the mainstream currently. But I can still see more people coming along who seek out these old books and collect them like many of us did. Basically, this has been a fringe type of hobby since inception-- so how millennial age or newer kids who come along act will not be as drastic as some might think. It might shrink over time sure-- but there will always be some level of collecting going on.

just an opinion

I agree. It woul not surprise me that millennials actually probably buy more modern comics than baby boomers/Gen X do. The millennials age runs from 1982 to 2004. I think they get a bad rap. Maybe it is them that actually still read most of the new comics that keeps the LCS going? Plus they buy all those Magic cards. lol.

I think the hobby will be fine and actually going forward is only one of the few that will remain standing.

A so much better outlook than stamp or lionel train hobbies.

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I agree. It woul not surprise me that millennials actually probably buy more modern comics than baby boomers/Gen X do. The millennials age runs from 1982 to 2004. I think they get a bad rap. Maybe it is them that actually still read most of the new comics that keeps the LCS going? Plus they buy all those Magic cards. lol.

I think the hobby will be fine and actually going forward is only one of the few that will remain standing.

google can't make up their mind what years the "millennials" are :) some say it starts in 81 some 82 and some even still say 77 or 78....

00673e76abee1c9403d1f7c07e4d37cac42567d0

10 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I feel bad for the guy who has invested a ton of $ in the best Roy Rogers collection hoping to sell it for a tidy profit one day! 

Be thankful for those MTG players I don't think a LCS could stay in business these days without them!

Edited by comics4all

10 minutes ago, comics4all said:

I feel bad for the guy who has invested a ton of $ in the best Roy Rogers collection hoping to sell it for a tidy profit one day! 

Be thankful for those MTG players I don't think a LCS could stay in business these days without them!

Never knew Roy's last name is Rogers.  Learn something new each day.

15 minutes ago, comics4all said:
25 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Edited 13 minutes ago by comics4all

DilbertInvestingStrip.gif

41 minutes ago, comics4all said:

Same with Hopalong Cassidy. Those western ips are deader than a door nail. Even Disney couldn't bring them back as the recent Lone Ranger movie showed.

Yeah, Magic the Gathering is big. Real real big.It probably saved a lot of LCS in the mid 1990s from closing their doors.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

My experience selling at shows for the past 10 years is that millenials and GenXers are the ones buying the keys and the baby boomers are the ones filling runs with the cheap stuff or selling collections. Don't discount the millenials. The biggest difference is that they focus on the keys and hot covers only rather than filling runs. They are not shy about buying multiples of keys either. Most are in the early stages of their careers and do not have families yet so they have more disposable income to play with. They are also the perfect consumers in that they do not really haggle on prices. In most cases they see the sticker and if it is in their price range they just hand over the money. :whee:

6 minutes ago, kimik said:

My experience selling at shows for the past 10 years is that millenials and GenXers are the ones buying the keys and the baby boomers are the ones filling runs with the cheap stuff or selling collections. Don't discount the millenials. The biggest difference is that they focus on the keys and hot covers only rather than filling runs. They are not shy about buying multiples of keys either. Most are in the early stages of their careers and do not have families yet so they have more disposable income to play with. They are also the perfect consumers in that they do not really haggle on prices. In most cases they see the sticker and if it is in their price range they just hand over the money. :whee:

Sad but true. I feel more comfortable haggling with my LCS. I do haggle at con's but not as much as I'd like to. :(I've made trades to the LCS that I'm at peace with in losing a bit because on some trades  I do win. Con's are difficult because some booths that are regulars at cons are high enough priced as it is due to cost of setting up that i meet them half way. :foryou:

59 minutes ago, kimik said:

100 percent agree! From my experience most of the millenials seem enthused and excited about the hobby,while most of the boomers usually bring up the doom n gloom part.  

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

100 percent agree! From my experience most of the millenials seem enthused and excited about the hobby,while most of the boomers usually bring up the doom n gloom part.  

I'm 38 and got back into collecting seriously around a year ago.  (Luckily I was able to simply resume buying as I never sold my old collection.)

I don't buy any modern books, I only get the silver, bronze, and copper I wanted as a pre-teen / teen.  While I am far from doom n' gloom, I am not what you would call enthusiastic either.  I am just enjoying being able to revisit old joys and acquiring old wants.  Most everything I buy now is stuff that I have known has existed.  

Millineals, otoh, never experienced the heyday of the 80's greatness like I did.  For them, the original keys are not something they are revisiting, but rather something they are experiencing for the first time in their lives.  This may explain the enthusiasm they have as opposed to many older folks who still love the books but may have a sense of "been there, done that."  

13 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

1. It is never a bad time to buy Marvel Silver Age keys. They are the blue-chips.

That really depends on how strict you are in regards to defining a key. Also, just because a book may be a blue-chip doesn't mean there aren't periods where buying it is not ideal.

6 hours ago, darkstar said:

That really depends on how strict you are in regards to defining a key. Also, just because a book may be a blue-chip doesn't mean there aren't periods where buying it is not ideal.

I am pretty strict with that about keys.

Just about every Marvel silver age key has gone up in price these last 5 years with some even doubling in price in any grades. In the next 5 years I expect the Marvel silver keys to continue the path of upward mobility as the Marvel heroes continue to grow in popularity. I also like bronze, copper, and modern Marvel keys.

The Marvel heroes are like Star Wars now. They are more popular now then they ever where. 

I really don't ever see the Marvel Silver Keys going back to 2008 prices. If you think about it the economy crashed in 2008 and the keys have doubled in price since then.