• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

From Deadline:

897870717_BWThursdayBO.thumb.JPG.e716818fdfd2e0dbc82df8f46dadbfe7.JPG

"Black Widow‘s Thursday night is ahead of such Marvel movies as 2018’s Ant-Man and the Wasp ($11.5M),  2014’s Guardians of the Galaxy ($11.2M) as well as Warner Bros/DC’s Wonder Woman in 2017 ($11M).  Ant-Man and the Wasp‘s Thursday night represented 34% of its $33.7M opening day which yielded a $75.8M opening while Guardians of the Galaxy’s Thursday repped a third of its $37.8M Friday for a $94.3M opening. Wonder Woman wound up getting a lift over its opening weekend from its female fanbase who were hungering for the DC superhero’s big screen debut. We’ll see if there’s a similar turnout by females over the weekend for Black Widow. Wonder Woman‘s Thursday made up 29% of its $38.2M Friday, for a $103.2M opening weekend."

It's not as strong as 2019 Captain Marvel's $20.7M Thursday night take but it's a good start.

Well, my brother paid the extra $30.00 on Disney+(🤦‍♂️) so I'll see it with him tonight. As long as it's better than WW84 and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier are dip:censored:, I'll be happy.

Let me also add that the theater I went to was full - not an empty seat in the house.  This is the 3rd movie I've seen since restrictions were lifted and this is the first full house I've seen to this point.

2 hours ago, Bill C said:

lol female washing (is that a term?) Taskmaster. Wonder if the speculation on the first appearance will go down?

I heard a rumor they were doing this to the character over a year ago so I sold a number of copies including a 9.8. Totally butchered the character; I’d rank this near the bottom of MCU. Yes even below captain marvel

1 hour ago, JazzMan said:

Let me also add that the theater I went to was full - not an empty seat in the house.  This is the 3rd movie I've seen since restrictions were lifted and this is the first full house I've seen to this point.

I went to to the first showing in my area and saw it in 3D. There was literally 10 people in the place and to make matters worse the air conditioning wasn’t working, so it was like sitting in a sauna. At least i got a refund and saw it for free, but I really wish I just saw a better movie. 

My biggest problem going into it is how stupid Taskmaster looks and someone alluded to the fact Taskmaster could turn out to be a female...whatever. At first reveal the character looked  like spoon. Taskmaster should look bad with the skull face instead they gave us a hybrid motorcycle helmet Stark armor garbage. zzz

15 hours ago, jason4 said:

I agree. Also I think they butchered task master. Nothing like the comics and was just not a great villain in this. Still, liked it but didnt love it and will never rewatch. 

I find this a common probe

with MCU films. They have a great pool of villains to pull from even with some of the rights issues with others studios over the years yet they seem to drop the ball too often with them.

I'll admit it. I saw the film last night. I wanted to see what the initial responses were.

It's okay. Not good. And I get why the critic noted it has action in key scenes that hint to a better film that doesn't find its footing.

But in the end it becomes a transition to a solid actress that can bring a lot of the go-forward role. With an end credits scene that conveys this with a character we have seen already to tie pieces together for the future.

But poor Taskmaster... :facepalm:

I own every MCU film. To include Captain Marvel because it came so cheap. I do not need to own this one, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Mephisto said:

My biggest problem going into it is how stupid Taskmaster looks and someone alluded to the fact Taskmaster could turn out to be a female...whatever. At first reveal the character looked  like spoon. Taskmaster should look bad with the skull face instead they gave us a hybrid motorcycle helmet Stark armor garbage. zzz

I like how the MCU has handled most of the characters, esp the villains. They put a spin or a twist on them and it makes it a little fresh and contemporary. Unlike a lot of people, I liked the Mandarin twist since no one saw it coming and the Ben Kingsley is a great actor. I mean, using a comic accurate Mandarin might be considered stereotypical in today's woke age, so in hindsight that might've been a good move. 

But in BW, I understand it's focused on women superheroes. But to change Taskmaster so radically, just for the sake of changing the character seems shortsighted. There would have been a lot more long term options if they remained accurate to the comics. The character has a large following, it just seems Marvel hasn't capitalized on him as much as they should. He's been featured in animated series, lots of action figures, statues, and video games. He's progressed from a cocky, wise cracking villain to a goofball anti-hero in the deadpool runs. Nowadays he seems to be written somewhat between those two ranges. However, he's never been depicted as a mute Terminator type who looks like a cross between VR Troopers and Snake Eyes. Complete fail. 

I went back to read some of the reddit discussions over the past year or so and some people apparently saw the early cuts because they accurately predicted most of it. However, it seems they cut or added in a new ending, because there were different endings where Ross steals the design for his own Taskmaster. Would've at least given us hope for a decent TM in the Thunderbolts movie, instead of mute Snake Eyes knock off.