• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BBC's THE LAST KINGDOM
1 1

10 posts in this topic

After seeing this series mentioned a few times in videos and even on here by Ken Aldred, I broke down and watched the first two seasons (third season is pending).

I like the intro to the series, along with the soundtrack. Very fitting to the show.

It appears to me to be the opposite side of History Channel's Vikings, where with that latter show the focus is from the Viking side of things this is about England's people and events going on throughout the area. But with any of these shows, they take liberties with modifying events of the times, the origin and direction of famous characters and who they interact with. Though learning a little about Uhtred, you get a feel for how much they modified the character.

Still, I like this show. And the focus on Alfred the Great, which is also starting to occur on Vikings but at a younger age, makes for interesting TV. His sacrifices and decisions based on the good of a unified England can put people in his court at odds. And the actor playing him on this show does a really good job of playing a leader constantly questioning his decisions, and if he is doing the right thing for his country.

The main actor playing Uhtred does a good job as well. Someone having to ride two sides as a Saxon and a Dane. So both sides question his motives and alliances.

Worth a watch!

On 1/15/2018 at 9:44 PM, piper said:

I lost interest at the beginning of the second season. I found the storyline line unfocused. I much prefer Vikings. To each his own I guess...

This nearly happened to me due to the lack of battle scenes in the first season (c'mon it's a show about viking invaders and early briton/saxon/angles who do nothing but fight each other!).  I saw that as nothing more than an attempt trading budget for drama and character development.  However, you're rewarded for your patience later and though it seems like Utred's insolent behavior is nothing more than a yo-yo for pulling him back into the service of the king which allows the plot to fill the episodes, the history (though large liberties are taken) is still captivating and entertaining. 

The great irony which the show does at times emphasize but also downplays during plot vehicles for alliances is the cyclical nature of the kingdom's rulers and origins.  They all came from generally the same northern European regions during different successive eras to conquer and be conquered again and again.  The Celts migrated from northern Germany to become the original (documented-disputed) britons, then norsemen from scandinavia, then the Romans, then the Judes/Saxons/Angles from roughly the same northern European lands stretching from northern Germany to Norway.

On 16/01/2018 at 2:44 AM, piper said:

I lost interest at the beginning of the second season. I found the storyline line unfocused. I much prefer Vikings. To each his own I guess...

+1

The first season, although from an alternative, more English POV,  had too much of what had already been covered in Vikings, and I think that fatigue set in and I lost interest.

I still watch Vikings.

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

+1

The first season, although from an alternative, more English POV,  had too much of what had already been covered in Vikings, and I think that fatigue set in and I lost interest.

I still watch Vikings.

Maybe that is the difference then, I've never watched an episode of vikings.

Surprisingly one of my favorite shows i've seen on Netflix.  The actor playing King Alfred does a phenomenal job and is one of my all time favorite characters to date.  Uhtred, while being interesting and having a great story arc, has some acting moments where I haven't enjoyed his emotional range or acting as much as other actors on the show.  The relationship between Alfred and Uhtred is complex and really entertaining to watch.  A very good show that i'd recommend someone to stick with from season 1 to where it is today.  Looking forward to the next season.