• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Top 3 that started you on collecting
3 3

26 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Batman 207

ASM 97

Detective 377

Really, it was because of the Batman TV show and the Spider-Man cartoon. I was only 3 when I got the Batman books, but I distinctly remember getting these at the local Acme market. The Spidey was from a corner candy store. I loved the Green Goblin and had to have the book. 

Reruns of that Batman Adam West tv show, Spider-Man cartoon and Superfriends introduced me to the characters way before the comics. I remember getting Batman comics as a kid and being disappointed how boring they were compared to the TV show because they had no villians in them like Joker, Riddler, Catwoman and Penguin that the TV show had. :whatthe:

Of course years later on as an adult I appreciated those Batman mystery comics much more.

Honestly, I can't really remember any book but one that got me started.  I used to ride my bike from my house down the street to the comic/card shop in about 1992.  I can't remember anything before Spectacular Spider-Man 29.  I don't remember how much I paid, but I saw that cover and I had to have it!  I still have that original copy, in all it's tattered beauty.  I bought a 9.8 awhile back to go with it.  That was my routine every Saturday morning, ride my bike down to the shop, buy a couple packs of basketball cards and a comic.  A couple years later, I was pretty heartbroken when I rode down one morning, pulled on the door and it was locked.  A guy working came to the door, opened it and said, "Sorry bud, we're wholesale only now", and then shut and locked the door.  I felt like someone punched me in the stomach.  I had no clue what he was talking about or what it meant except I couldn't get my cards and comic!  I got out of comics shortly after that when I started playing sports.  I think about that at least once a week.  I can still feel the disappointment.  

Peter_Parker,_The_Spectacular_Spider-Man_Vol_1_29.jpg

57 minutes ago, bc said:

Can only remember my first newstand purchase. My mom let me buy 1 comic a week to keep me quiet during my sisters dance lessons. When I picked this issue, I could tell she wasn't exactly thrilled (but I stayed quiet so the bribed worked). I read it until it fell apart.

sos_5.jpg

I can understand your anxiety.

I remember buying some comics from the bus station newsstand I mentioned, and then soon afterwards going into church with a brown bag containing this one...

9065_20060920140205_large.jpg

The first comic book I purchased off EBay and read was Amazing Spider-Man 200:tumblr_n9297kkqLS1tayermo10_400.jpgHowever, the comic book that got me hooked on reading and collecting was Fantastic Four 21, which was my second purchase off EBay. Stan Lee’s writing combined with Jack Kirby’s art was captivating, entertaining and even included a plot twist and moral to the story.

a4baa206406a3241945d1092adeeecac.jpgMy first new comic book purchase from a comic book store was Walking Dead 100. After reading this book, I purchased every back issue and read the entire series. Still reading the new issues today.

latest?cb=20120616020008

*Note* these images aren’t my copies. I posted them to show off the covers. 

I sold ASM200 and WD100 a few years back, but will be keeping my FF21 for life!