• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Spawn #200 1:50 retailer incentive

29 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Alf Pogs said:

OP is it for your collection or flip?

Collection. I think I'm going to be buying already graded books on eBay from now on. This has happened to me numerous times. 

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Alf, I will say that your point is well taken. But if he got a deal on it raw, it might be worth getting it graded if it has a shot at 9.8.

I got it for around $50 Canadian (so about $40 USD). 

Edited by Spawn1709

4 minutes ago, Spawn1709 said:

I got it for around $50 Canadian (so about $40 USD). 

You'd have to get a 9.6 at the very least to even think about getting your money back one day. But you could turn a nice profit with a 9.8.

My advice is to forgo fast-track in order to save money. You could get it pressed at CCS for $12.

Play with the math before you decide.

24 minutes ago, newshane said:

You'd have to get a 9.6 at the very least to even think about getting your money back one day. But you could turn a nice profit with a 9.8.

My advice is to forgo fast-track in order to save money. You could get it pressed at CCS for $12.

Play with the math before you decide.

Alright. Thanks Newshane! I'm more concerned about the mark in the third picture. It looks like it might be colour breaking which will affect the grade significantly. 

2 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

Alright. Thanks Newshane! I'm more concerned about the mark in the third picture. It looks like it might be colour breaking which will affect the grade significantly. 

If that spot is indeed a flaking of the color, as in a spine stress, and not simply a printing "bubble", then IMO, any chance of a 9.8 and probably even as much as a 9.6 is null and void. 

11 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

If that spot is indeed a flaking of the color, as in a spine stress, and not simply a printing "bubble", then IMO, any chance of a 9.8 and probably even as much as a 9.6 is null and void. 

Dammit. Alright thanks James. This kind of sucks. I think from now on I'll just buy 9.8's already graded. 

37 minutes ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

Don't do that ....what fun would that b ?  It's the never ending search for that diamond in da ruff........That's where da action is.

Yeah, maybe your right. But I'm going to have to be extremely careful about which copies I end up getting. If I go on ebay, I'll have to ask for multiple pictures. Thanks again for the help Ashoka.

2 hours ago, Spawn1709 said:

Yeah, maybe your right. But I'm going to have to be extremely careful about which copies I end up getting. If I go on ebay, I'll have to ask for multiple pictures. Thanks again for the help Ashoka.

Ahsoka is right. generating a 9.8 as a result from that search for that diamond in the ruff becomes more fulfilling than simply buying it ready made. But in all candor, you have to do the searching yourself. No matter how many pictures you see of an item, grading is a three-dimensional art, which is why books must be submitted to the CGC for grading and it can't be officially done, off the cuff as we do, from 2 dimensional images alone. When you grade off the monitor, you're grading through many layers of glass, your monitor, the seller's imaging equipment, i.e., multiple layers, each of which can add their own element of distortion. Successfully hunting for 9.8 big game is most successfully accomplished hands on.

This would be 9.6 tops. In my personal notes on grading comics, I have noted the flaw on a 9.8 should be almost invisible. A corner tear up to 1/16" would drop it to a 9.6. 

I think someone said it best earlier in this thread that if the flaw is visible in a scan it's probably 9.6 or less.