• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIRDS OF PREY starring Margot Robbie (2020?)
1 1

1,068 posts in this topic

Haters, did you like wonder woman or ms. Marvel? Does all the feminist stuff in supergirl drive you insane? And if you liked wonder woman was it because of Steve Trevor and his buddies, not WW? I am just wondering if any chick centric film is not going to get the wrath of guy fans? What else was this going to be? I get it, the production values are like 15% above the TV shows. 

7 hours ago, the blob said:

Haters, did you like wonder woman or ms. Marvel? Does all the feminist stuff in supergirl drive you insane? And if you liked wonder woman was it because of Steve Trevor and his buddies, not WW? I am just wondering if any chick centric film is not going to get the wrath of guy fans? What else was this going to be? I get it, the production values are like 15% above the TV shows. 

That's CAPTAIN Marvel.

Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn was the comic book movie highlight of last year. One of the fan favorite characters was Jurnee Smollett’s Dinah Lance, aka Black Canary. Is the actress now teasing a team-up project with Black Canary and Green Arrow?

The actress has recently posted a photo and quote of the classic DC Comics Green Arrow tale, “The Longbow Hunters”, that she is currently reading.

Many fans are still rooting for a Black Canary HBO Max series, as Warner Bros. stated that they are planning to make at least one spin-off project for HBO Max of every of their major DC theatrical releases. Smollett’s post now has ignited some speculation that she might actually be teasing a Black Canary and Green Arrow led spin-off project.

One thing that speaks against it, is the fact that Green Arrow hasn’t been introduced in the DCEU yet and he also wasn’t mentioned by Black Canary. While it’s not impossible that a Black Canary project for HBO Max is in development, it seems unlikely that it will feature Green Arrow, as one might think they would like to introduce him in a movie beforehand. Yet the CW Arrow series was very popular, so people definitely know the character.

another reason 2020 sucked; no worst movies of the year lists

There weren’t enough bad movies in 2020 — but prospects are good for 2021

Mick LaSalle

Besides, the whole fun of those worst-of-the-year stories, for the reader, is to enjoy the suffering of the critic. The critic talks about the horror of seeing these terrible movies, and the reader laughs. But in 2020, there was so much that was truly horrible that complaining about watching “Birds of Prey” seems a little misplaced.

MERa18e14ba64438bb1b30668a0b4b3e_worst01 Margot Robbie in “Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn.” Photo: DC Entertainment

This isn’t to say that “Birds of Prey” wasn’t as bad a movie as human minds have ever devised. It was. Yet looking back, it was just two hours out of a day in February, in which I was able to eat in a restaurant and go to a movie theater. In retrospect, it’s hard to build up that experience as a visit to hell.

So, there wasn’t a Top 10 Worst Movie list because there weren’t enough movies to fill it. But looking back, there were five movies that would have made the 2020 list, even under normal circumstances.

Better still, there are some strong prospects for 2021! If all goes well, we should have lots and lots of really awful movies to choose from over the coming months.

But first, 2020. “Birds of Prey” was always going to be the worst movie of the year. At the time, I said that movies don’t get any worse, that this was the absolute bottom. It was worse than empty, because Margot Robbie tried to make something human out of the character of Harley Quinn and ended up throwing the movie’s faults into sharper relief.

The “Birds of Prey” experience also helped Yan, who received a dual degree in film and business, understand how to address the industry’s biggest representational hurdles. “The thing that has been the most rewarding for me about ‘Birds’ is the messages from people who feel like they see themselves on the big screen,” she said. “Women and people of color and lots of LGBT people reach out to me to say how much the movie means to them. … When I was growing up, I couldn’t look to that many people, actually, anyone really, that looked like me having a career that I would dream of. That’s why I think it took me as long as it did to get the confidence to even be a writer-director and take those risks. I am very grateful that I get to be that to people.”