• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legendary's DUKE NUKEM by the creators of Cobra Kai (TBD)
2 2

24 posts in this topic

Here's What John Cena Would Look Like As Duke Nukem

http://media.comicbook.com/2018/01/duke-nukem-john-cena-fan-art-1077512-640x320.jpeg

After the report that John Cena could be getting ready to kick alien and chew bubble gum (although he might want to make sure he still has some gum first), one artist imagined how the WWE star might appear as Duke Nukem.

BossLogic reimagined the protagonist of the popular video game series as portrayed by John Cena, staying faithful to the classic look of the character.

Cena has yet to sign onto the role, though he's currently in negotiations to play Duke.

Paramount Pictures snatched the rights from current IP holder Gearbox Software after their initial deal with Dimension Films lapsed. They're currently working with Platinum Dunes, the company from Michael Bay, Brad Fuller, and Andrew Form.

The report from THR notes this would be yet another film Cena has worked on from Paramount, including both Daddy's Home movies and the upcoming Transformers spinoff Bumblebee. But Duke Nukem would be something completely different.

The last game was extremely dated, including the humour.

Even if that was improved, maybe he’d still sound a lot like a Deadpool clone?

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

The last game was extremely dated, including the humour.

Even if that was improved, maybe he’d still sound a lot like a Deadpool clone?

I think it be a hit if they do a R rated version like Deadpool.

This was one of my favorite characters of the 90s. I haven't revisited him since, but I remember him being fun with those quotes about bubble gum.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Looks like Jumanji results are paving the way for a wave of game development films; anyone think Rampage will come close?

On the one hand, most of the storylines are perfect for a hero's journey type theme, as they have increasingly difficult challenges and well defined goals and rewards...

Plus they resonate well with a generation of game players (like comic books).  That being said, they don't have much in the way of character development (unlike comic books).

Lastly, the special effects are getting to the level of elevating the translation quality.

3 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

Looks like Jumanji results are paving the way for a wave of game development films; anyone think Rampage will come close?

On the one hand, most of the storylines are perfect for a hero's journey type theme, as they have increasingly difficult challenges and well defined goals and rewards...

Plus they resonate well with a generation of game players (like comic books).  That being said, they don't have much in the way of character development (unlike comic books).

Lastly, the special effects are getting to the level of elevating the translation quality.

Wait you need a story???? The rock + Giant Monkey destroying city and fighting other giant monsters??? All of my money.

Let me know when the Miz gets a movie.  That dude has personality!

In regards to Duke Nukem I hope they don't mess it up like they did with Doom.  Great movie until the final 15 minutes where they started doing the first person perspective.  Absolutely destroyed the movie.

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

In regards to Duke Nukem I hope they don't mess it up like they did with Doom.  Great movie until the final 15 minutes where they started doing the first person perspective.  Absolutely destroyed the movie.

Max Payne wasn't a complete bust, though they could have packaged up the story to be told so much better. I still enjoy watching that one when it comes on. The villains being drug-induced horrors made for a story detractor, compared to seeing these flying creatures from Norse mythology.

On 1/23/2018 at 7:00 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

This was one of my favorite characters of the 90s. I haven't revisited him since, but I remember him being fun with those quotes about bubble gum.

That line was a direct lift from Rowdy Roddy Piper from the film "They Live."  Nukem is based more on Roddy Piper than anyone else, although his physical appearance looks more like Dolph Lundgren.  Appropriate they choose a wrestler to play a video game character based upon a wrestler, I guess.

Aside from Roddy Piper's one-liners and action hero vibe, Duke Nukem's main and most original appeal is the voice actor who played him.  That guy's delivery was freaking awesome, WAAAAY better than Roddy Piper.  I'm not sure John Cena can live up to that guy's voice either.

Here's Roddy's original delivery of the bubblegum line from "They Live."  Once you've heard the Duke Nukem voice actor's delivery, Piper's sounds really lame in comparison.

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Aside from Roddy Piper's one-liners and action hero vibe, Duke Nukem's main and most original appeal is the voice actor who played him.  That guy's delivery was freaking awesome, WAAAAY better than Roddy Piper.  I'm not sure John Cena can live up to that guy's voice either.

Here's Roddy's original delivery of the bubblegum line from "They Live."  Once you've heard the Duke Nukem voice actor's delivery, Piper's sounds really lame in comparison.

One of my favorite movies with great fight scenes. I had always wished for a part 2.

On 1/24/2018 at 10:15 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Miz has done a few movies already, after Cena left "The Marine" movies, Miz did like 3 or 4 of them. 

Duke Nukem, the 1990s video game that helped popularize the first-person shooter genre, is getting the feature film treatment.

Legendary Entertainment, the company behind Dune and the Godzilla monster movie series, has picked up the movie rights from Gearbox, with Cobra Kai creators Josh Heald, Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg on board to produce.

Legendary will also produce, as will Jean Julien Baronnet (Assassin’s Creed) of Marla Studios, which specializes on video game adaptations. Heald, Hurtwitz and Schlossberg are producing via their banner, Counterbalance Entertainment.

Launched with a self-titled debut in 1991 from Apogee Software, later called 3D Realms, Nukem is $1 billion video game franchise that began life as a platform game for personal computers. When the third game, Duke Nukem 3D, came out in 1996, it became not only a critical hit but one that helped usher in the ubiquity of first-person games for years to come. After laying low for years and stalled development, the franchise came back in 2011, after Gearbox acquired 3D Realms, with Duke Nukem Forever.

On 6/11/2022 at 7:04 AM, Bosco685 said:

Amazing how many years it takes for these projects to move forward. You would think some would just give up.

Yeah, enough time to change his name from 'Nokem' to 'Nukem'. 

:shiftyeyes: