• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my Tales to Astonish #93 - The Silver Surfer!

46 posts in this topic

Arguably, the best SS cover of all time! 893applaud-thumb.gif

hi.gif

"Best?" screwy.gifpoke2.gif Very cool but not the best. insane.gif If its not done by John Buscema then its not the best. hail.gif

screwy.gifJohn was a latecomer to the SS party. As such most of his covers are "derivative" at best poke2.gif Marie Severin's cover here is a classic Silver Age composition with the Surfer dominating the cover frame - the symmetry (sp?) is startling, and the context of putting the Incredible Hulk "in tow" is just sumo.gif

grin.gif

Oh, it's on now! sumo.gif

John Buscema's Silver Surfer is THE Silver Sufer! And everyone knows that SS #4 is the best SS cover of all time!

Uh, quite articulate there Norinn gossip.gifmakepoint.gif

anyway, we know we're just a bunch of "slammers" around here! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Not trying to slam...just my opinion...

Are you going to get it graded? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

No, I believe it's spoken for already . . . cloud9.gif

hi.gif

"Best?" screwy.gifpoke2.gif Very cool but not the best. insane.gif If its not done by John Buscema then its not the best. hail.gif

screwy.gifJohn was a latecomer to the SS party. As such most of his covers are "derivative" at best poke2.gif Marie Severin's cover here is a classic Silver Age composition with the Surfer dominating the cover frame - the symmetry (sp?) is startling, and the context of putting the Incredible Hulk "in tow" is just sumo.gif

grin.gif

John Buscema's Silver Surfer is THE Silver Sufer! And everyone knows that SS #4 is the best SS cover of all time!

Uh, quite articulate there Norinn gossip.gifmakepoint.gif

Thanks, Diva. tongue.gif

What about the fact that she was clearly copying in the Kirby style of drawing the Silver Surfer.

I mean, he's got a big line through the middle of his head! makepoint.gif Buscema atleast brought his own style to SS. One I like better than Kirby's.

[Now that's blasphemy. wink.gif]

we all can't be slammers, can we? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Lower right corner is too beat to be an 8.0. At least three separate creases there. Upper right is not the best either. Still a nice presentable copy of a GREAT cover. I would have picked it up too!

this sums it up pretty nicely for me. i'd have to agree with the 7.0 - 7.5 crowd.

i just had a ton of books graded and none of the 8.0's had the degree of creasing that's present on the LRC................still a very nice copy of a classic book...... thumbsup2.gif

hi.gif

grin.gif

bitchslap.jpg

Your blasphemy aside, TTA #93 is also a favorite. And Marie Severin is highly under-rated.

Now that's a beyotch slap if I ever seen one. 27_laughing.gif