• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Someone likes his mags...

34 posts in this topic

bc,

as always quite eloquent . . . and right on the money sumo.gif

flowerred.gif

Wow this is the most fun that the Magazine forum has had in a LONG time! I think that hearing both sides of the story here is great.

Thanks for everyones contributions so far.

-bounty

You're right Bounty, did you leave the door open to this forum or what? wink.gif

Nice words by you earlier and here now is my 2 cents:

Wow, all I can say is for me Mags and comics have always gone hand in hand. My first books ever were Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella, Psycho, Nightmare and Vampire Tales along with the Marvel horror reprints. Some of the best artists really shined in the b/w format; Ditko, Adams, and Wrightson with their ink wash and brushwork were phenomenal! Other of my favorites, Ralph Reese, Pablo Marcos, Jose Gonzalez are just too great for words…and that’s not even touching on the cover artists such as Ken Kelly, Sanjulian, Enrich, and Frazetta!

You can’t be a comics fan and not acknowledge these books just because of the larger format and lack of 4 color! sumo.gif Another of my favorite Mags was Planet of the Apes; Those large panels of Ploog artwork just can’t be beat. Even though they were reprinted in color in the comic size “Adventures of…”, they just don’t hold a candle to the Mag version IMHO.

Mags just = larger comics! What’s not to love? cloud9.gif

thumbsup2.gif (even if you fell off your grading horse!) 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

[quote thumbsup2.gif (even if you fell off your grading horse!) 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

thumbsup2.gif *Note: That is not the "Thumbs up" emoticon...that's me trying to hitch a ride after falling off my grading horse! acclaim.gif

BTW Divad, closet maggers sounds pretty creepy! gossip.gif

Wow this is the most fun that the Magazine forum has had in a LONG time! I think that hearing both sides of the story here is great.

Thanks for everyones contributions so far.

You're welcome... acclaim.gif

Jim

[quote thumbsup2.gif (even if you fell off your grading horse!) 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

thumbsup2.gif *Note: That is not the "Thumbs up" emoticon...that's me trying to hitch a ride after falling off my grading horse! acclaim.gif

BTW Divad, closet maggers sounds pretty creepy! gossip.gif

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

Hey Jay you are right man. Those POTA's (Planet of the Apes) did have very nice interior art. And I forgot all about those. Ploog did amazing interior work. But I'll tell you what. I cloud9.gif Earl Norem's painted covers.

In fact I am going to run a Norem appreciation thread in a bit. sumo.gif Very underated artist.

-bounty

Too true! The Mag covers of Planet of the Apes blew away the comic versions! I have a complete run VF and up all originally purchased by me from my local 5 & 10 store (except for about 5 of the earlier issues) so I can help post some covers if you need any help! thumbsup2.gif

Too true! The Mag covers of Planet of the Apes blew away the comic versions! I have a complete run VF and up all originally purchased by me from my local 5 & 10 store (except for about 5 of the earlier issues) so I can help post some covers if you need any help! thumbsup2.gif

Jay feel free to start a POTA Thread! You may have your stuff more accessable than I. But I'll add some stuff hi.gif

You sound like you've been with POTA longer than I, maybe you should kicker her off, with a few Covershots, maybe interior work, and some of your thoughts. I would be delighted to see!

-bounty