• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Someone likes his mags...

34 posts in this topic

Board member?
nope. Not that I am aware of. He just recently sold a bunch of stuff on Heritage not to long ago. He buys stuff at really high prices and attempts to sell them for higher.

he's buying slabs in grades that there aren't large numbers of. i assume he has some spare cash and can wait for as long as it takes to make him money back at 200-400% mark-ups.

thing about many of these horror mags is that they're very attractive up on the wall and have cross-over appeal to regular humanoids. he could be selling them to non-comic collectors as collectible wall decorations, in which case comic nerd (us) valuations are not so relevant.

Board member?
nope. Not that I am aware of. He just recently sold a bunch of stuff on Heritage not to long ago. He buys stuff at really high prices and attempts to sell them for higher.

Chris actually is a board member here. He goes by Big_Ram. He's posted in this mag forum a couple dozen times maybe.

He's building an army of uber HG Magazines from what I can tell. Initially focusing on Warren's now leaking into other Publishers such as Marvel, Skywald, Eerie, Stanley and Seaboard.

It's definitely not fun if he wants a book that you want! flowerred.gif

-bounty

he's buying slabs in grades that there aren't large numbers of. i assume he has some spare cash and can wait for as long as it takes to make him money back at 200-400% mark-ups.

thing about many of these horror mags is that they're very attractive up on the wall and have cross-over appeal to regular humanoids. he could be selling them to non-comic collectors as collectible wall decorations, in which case comic nerd (us) valuations are not so relevant.

Tons of cross-over appeal. Man you dont even know. I'm not sure if Chris is marketing them this way though? But definitely a great point that you have brought up and I have thought about for a long time. The intrigue of these magazines runs the gamut...

-Stories will blow your mind...especially if your used to the mild ness of comics

-Interior art that sets moods and actual feelings while reading...will knock your socks off if your used to comics

-Surprise interior art by many top name artists. Many books out there which people don't even realize thier favorite artists are in.

-No real market reports that have tracked magazines like comics opens up huge potential with the future of magazines.

-As you stated the Amazing Painted covers on these books make them perfect display peices...but I should warn everyone, the beauty of these books are really in the interiors. You should never own a slabbed copy that you dont at least have a copy that you can also read to go along with it. That is just treason.

-Lower print on these guys and spotty distribution to boot with some of the smaller publications make these great collectibles off the bat.

-Combine the above bullet with the fact that these were never stored with collectibility and condition in mind and blamo!...You have an situation that is just a breeding ground for a huge market move.

-If even 1/1000th of all comic collectors out there realized much of this, the Magazine market would really take off.

I also think that we have another situation. Many comic collectors started collecting a lot of thier books initially when they were younger. And they still have that excitement about owning those books. So they never get into Mags, since when they were younger they were books that were kind of sacred. The very interesting thing is, that now that I'm older Magazines really quench more of a thirst for me than comics do. As was vice versa when I was younger. This being a key point. As more comic collectors start to realize that these types of stories and interior art is more mature, they will also have that now more mature thirst quenched.

Think about Morbius fans from the Spiderman books. Those Morbius first appearances are insanely expensive. How many of thos fans know about Vampire Tales books? Which all contain Morbius stories including Blade the Vampire slayer story arcs. How many Incredible Hulk Fans read the Rampaging Hulk Magazines? Not a whole lot. Those Hulk Magazines were insanely cool. The art by Norm, Buscema, Adams and others was out of this world. And you actually had the Hulk in situations that you would'nt find in comics. You also get those Huge Splash pages which are to drool over. Also, how many Tomb of Dracula Fans, follow Dracula lives? I'm sure a few do...But the whole point is...Tons of cross over appeal, especially character specific in the marvel books.

-bounty

I don't know...there are a hell of alot of comic collectors that don't even acknowledge magazines. Regardless of their knowledge of crossover character appearances. Might as well start collecting character toy appearances as well in their eyes...it's not on their radar as they focus solely on the four color comics...

Jim

I don't know...there are a hell of alot of comic collectors that don't even acknowledge magazines. Regardless of their knowledge of crossover character appearances. Might as well start collecting character toy appearances as well in their eyes...it's not on their radar as they focus solely on the four color comics...

Jim

Hmmm...Where is the smiley icon for *heads butting*...

I disagree. To a certain extend. Many comic collectors don't acknowledge magazines because they havn't gotten the chance to experience them.

Though I do agree with there are tons of comic collectors that do solely focus on four color comics.

If Neal Adams did sculptures (does he?) I'm sure that Neal Adams fans would probably appreciate having that type of work as well. Of course not all, but some. It is this some that I am referring to, the collectors that want everything regarding a certain artist or character. I mean if you were a Neal Adams fan in 4 color world, you should see some of the stuff that he put in magazines. That is all I have to say wink.gif

-bounty

Jim

I have to agree with you. 893whatthe.gif

I grew up reading and collecting comics, and have read the occasional comic magazine. I don't find them that interesting. I think they are cool, but I would never collect them.

oh i dunno, most comic collectors go for magazines when they're in a genre they collect, like some of the few super hero items that came out as magazines (punisher, some of the bizarre adventures, etc.) some more recent hulk collectors may not know about the magazines. i don't see that many of them out there.

I doubt there are too many conan collectors who won't buy savage sword

and i doubt there are too many people who collect 70s horror comics who won't touch the horror mags

and you think people who bought the vampy comic wouldn't be interested in the magazine?

personally, i think what held comics back was the simple fact that they don't fit in a long box. sounds stupid, but being bulky, etc. held them back. and then they were further held back by CGC not slabbing them for what, the first 4 years of CGC?

it really doesn't make much sense that something like heavy metal is ignored (even though it was wildly popular 20 years ago) when if it had been a sci fi/fantasy comic in the smaller format running the exact same stories for 25 years with great artists, etc., they would be pretty darn collectible.

with that said, i got $10 a pop for some penthouse comix a while back, so i guess those are somewhat collectible!

Tons of cross-over appeal. Man you dont even know. I'm not sure if Chris is marketing them this way though? But definitely a great point that you have brought up and I have thought about for a long time. The intrigue of these magazines runs the gamut...

-Stories will blow your mind...especially if your used to the mild ness of comics

-Interior art that sets moods and actual feelings while reading...will knock your socks off if your used to comics

-Surprise interior art by many top name artists. Many books out there which people don't even realize thier favorite artists are in.

-No real market reports that have tracked magazines like comics opens up huge potential with the future of magazines.

-As you stated the Amazing Painted covers on these books make them perfect display peices...but I should warn everyone, the beauty of these books are really in the interiors. You should never own a slabbed copy that you dont at least have a copy that you can also read to go along with it. That is just treason.

-Lower print on these guys and spotty distribution to boot with some of the smaller publications make these great collectibles off the bat.

-Combine the above bullet with the fact that these were never stored with collectibility and condition in mind and blamo!...You have an situation that is just a breeding ground for a huge market move.

-If even 1/1000th of all comic collectors out there realized much of this, the Magazine market would really take off.

I also think that we have another situation. Many comic collectors started collecting a lot of thier books initially when they were younger. And they still have that excitement about owning those books. So they never get into Mags, since when they were younger they were books that were kind of sacred. The very interesting thing is, that now that I'm older Magazines really quench more of a thirst for me than comics do. As was vice versa when I was younger. This being a key point. As more comic collectors start to realize that these types of stories and interior art is more mature, they will also have that now more mature thirst quenched.

Think about Morbius fans from the Spiderman books. Those Morbius first appearances are insanely expensive. How many of thos fans know about Vampire Tales books? Which all contain Morbius stories including Blade the Vampire slayer story arcs. How many Incredible Hulk Fans read the Rampaging Hulk Magazines? Not a whole lot. Those Hulk Magazines were insanely cool. The art by Norm, Buscema, Adams and others was out of this world. And you actually had the Hulk in situations that you would'nt find in comics. You also get those Huge Splash pages which are to drool over. Also, how many Tomb of Dracula Fans, follow Dracula lives? I'm sure a few do...But the whole point is...Tons of cross over appeal, especially character specific in the marvel books.

-bounty

bc,

as always quite eloquent . . . and right on the money sumo.gif

Jim

Jim,

Your imagination needs a spark - perhaps a magazine will do? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Jim

Hmmm...Where is the smiley icon for *heads butting*...

I disagree. To a certain extend. Many comic collectors don't acknowledge magazines because they havn't gotten the chance to experience them.

Though I do agree with there are tons of comic collectors that do solely focus on four color comics.

If Neal Adams did sculptures (does he?) I'm sure that Neal Adams fans would probably appreciate having that type of work as well. Of course not all, but some. It is this some that I am referring to, the collectors that want everything regarding a certain artist or character. I mean if you were a Neal Adams fan in 4 color world, you should see some of the stuff that he put in magazines. That is all I have to say wink.gif

-bounty

For example, Neal Adams' work in Vampirella is just awesome. hail.gif

Comparing mags and comics to comics and statues (or action figures) is a poor analogy indeed. The only thing separating mags and comics is physical size. They have the same art, format and stories, just slightly bigger. I NEVER collected mags as a kid, but now I can't get enough of them. Great cover art and extremely cheap back issue prices when compared to comics from the same era. I am loving collecting them....props to all the boardies who got me into it like Bounty, Jay, ect... thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

bc,

flowerred.gif

Wow this is the most fun that the Magazine forum has had in a LONG time! I think that hearing both sides of the story here is great.

Thanks for everyones contributions so far.

-bounty

Comparing mags and comics to comics and statues (or action figures) is a poor analogy indeed. The only thing separating mags and comics is physical size

...although...in the "Conan" mags...the stories were much richer and grittier since they were able to recreate violent scenes typical of an "R" rated film....I actually enjoyed the Buscema "Conan" mags much more than the comic...excluding the Barry Smith run of course...

bc,

flowerred.gif

Wow this is the most fun that the Magazine forum has had in a LONG time! I think that hearing both sides of the story here is great.

Thanks for everyones contributions so far.

-bounty

You're right Bounty, did you leave the door open to this forum or what? wink.gif

Nice words by you earlier and here now is my 2 cents:

Wow, all I can say is for me Mags and comics have always gone hand in hand. My first books ever were Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella, Psycho, Nightmare and Vampire Tales along with the Marvel horror reprints. Some of the best artists really shined in the b/w format; Ditko, Adams, and Wrightson with their ink wash and brushwork were phenomenal! Other of my favorites, Ralph Reese, Pablo Marcos, Jose Gonzalez are just too great for words…and that’s not even touching on the cover artists such as Ken Kelly, Sanjulian, Enrich, and Frazetta!

You can’t be a comics fan and not acknowledge these books just because of the larger format and lack of 4 color! sumo.gif Another of my favorite Mags was Planet of the Apes; Those large panels of Ploog artwork just can’t be beat. Even though they were reprinted in color in the comic size “Adventures of…”, they just don’t hold a candle to the Mag version IMHO.

Mags just = larger comics! What’s not to love? cloud9.gif