• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

spine stretch lines

6 posts in this topic

Can anyone explain this notation?

A friend requested notes on a recently submitted CGC book. Among some of the grader notes was: -spine stretch lines.

This is a new term to me and not sure what it means. I'm thinking the spine is stretched away from the staples? Any help is appreciated!

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:35 PM, Jayman said:

Can anyone explain this notation?

A friend requested notes on a recently submitted CGC book. Among some of the grader notes was: -spine stretch lines.

This is a new term to me and not sure what it means. I'm thinking the spine is stretched away from the staples? Any help is appreciated!

Never heard of a "spine stretch". Of all the defects that can befall a spine, and among all the restoration processes that can be performed to the spine, this is a first for me that I am completely unfamiliar with. A scan of this "stretched spine" might solve this mystery of the hobby ages.

37 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Never heard of a "spine stretch". Of all the defects that can befall a spine, and among all the restoration processes that can be performed to the spine, this is a first for me that I am completely unfamiliar with. A scan of this "stretched spine" might solve this mystery of the hobby ages.

Maybe it was the result of a poorly executed spine realignment ? (shrug)

2 hours ago, joeypost said:

Could it be “stress” and was typed in incorrectly? 

This is a possibility that I didn't think of and one that I'm now thinking could be correct. If this was an actual defect that gets notation, I was hoping others here would chime in and say they've seen it before. The fact that no one has makes me think you are right. Thanks to all who responded! (thumbsu