• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What about Amazing Spiderman #18?

16 posts in this topic

I thought I'd be lucky if it got in the Fine range. You should see the issues 51 - 53 he sold me as VFN that all had subscription creases! Luckily if I've had any doubts like in instances where the picture just isn't clear enough to make a decent estimate on the grade, I always tend to bid 5 points lower prices. If someone else outbids me they're welcome to it and so far (touch wood) I haven't been stung, but have picked up a few bargains.

I thought I'd be lucky if it got in the Fine range. You should see the issues 51 - 53 he sold me as VFN that all had subscription creases! Luckily if I've had any doubts like in instances where the picture just isn't clear enough to make a decent estimate on the grade, I always tend to bid 5 points lower prices. If someone else outbids me they're welcome to it and so far (touch wood) I haven't been stung, but have picked up a few bargains.

Here's a 5.5 just for the sake of comparison. The one defect you really can't see is a light but long (3 inches or so) slightly color-breaking crease near Spidey's leg in the middle of the book:

asm18-55.jpg

Yeah that definitely looks better. It's a real shame about the chipping and that top edge because the rest of the comic is in lovely condition and the pages are very white.

I've always liked this issue - one of my faves sumo.gif and yours has fantastic cover colors 893applaud-thumb.gif

It could be but I have a couple of CGC graded 4.5s and this is definitely much better than them. Still you never know and I wouldn't like to bet on it.

Well this was my TOS#39 which I was hoping would get a 6.0 but it came back 5.0 and all 3 graders had it at a 5.0. Was a very nice, solid copy and it didn't have the same color breaking creases or chips.

zzz.jpg

It could be but I have a couple of CGC graded 4.5s and this is definitely much better than them. Still you never know and I wouldn't like to bet on it.

Well this was my TOS#39 which I was hoping would get a 6.0 but it came back 5.0 and all 3 graders had it at a 5.0. Was a very nice, solid copy and it didn't have the same color breaking creases or chips.

What does the back cover look like?

Your book has the classic 5.x defects -- wear around the entire periphery of the book, plus a long color-breaking crease in the middle of the cover.

Your book has the classic 5.x defects -- wear around the entire periphery of the book, plus a long color-breaking crease in the middle of the cover.

The back cover is fine but I don't have a scan of it, Iron maniac owns it now. The color breaking crease on this book (just a scratch) is nothing compared to the top edge on the ASM book, not even close. The top edge is damn fuggly and I'd be willing to bet that it would not get a 5.0.

The back cover is fine but I don't have a scan of it, Iron maniac owns it now. The color breaking crease on this book (just a scratch) is nothing compared to the top edge on the ASM book, not even close. The top edge is damn fuggly and I'd be willing to bet that it would not get a 5.0.

The top edge may not look that great, but the bulk of the damage is limited to the overhang and CGC does not grade defects to the overhang as harshly. Borock actually confirmed this to me when I asked him about it a little over a year ago.