• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Deterioration and Selling Off Your Collection
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Something that's popped into my head on occasion is how long WILL our vintage comics actually survive? Comics were originally conceived as disposable entertainment and weren't made with high-quality materials. Instead, they were subject to breaking down over time. For those of you who've invested in expensive, GA and SA comics, do you have a set time frame when you're thinking of eventually letting your comics go out to pasture? Is there a point where they will eventually start breaking down and it would be best to sell them off to enjoy some fiscal return on the initial investments? 

I don't think any of us will live long enough to see these materials deteriorate that far. Paper conservation has been thoroughly researched to preserve plenty of important historical documents and that research has trickled down directly to our hobby. Comics aren't invincible, but, barring natural disasters or other outside influences, they should outlast all of us when stored in a reasonable environment. 

I live in a pretty much ideal storage environment, so my childhood comics haven't visibly aged.  That being said, my plans are to have them mostly or all gone by the time I die.

They (comics) should last much longer than any of us if stored correctly.

By that time mankind would probably have  found an acceptable + suitable restoration method to retain the popular copies. Most of the early GA books may or require some form of restoration to keep the book pages intact.

My humble guess: If you like to leave your legacy to your great great great great great grand kids and  is on tight budget now, then start collecting those slight pro restored  GA books now at fraction of the price. Your great great great great grand kids will thank you for it. L:P

9 hours ago, SkyJuice said:

They (comics) should last much longer than any of us if stored correctly.

By that time mankind would probably have  found an acceptable + suitable restoration method to retain the popular copies. Most of the early GA books may or require some form of restoration to keep the book pages intact.

My humble guess: If you like to leave your legacy to your great great great great great grand kids and  is on tight budget now, then start collecting those slight pro restored  GA books now at fraction of the price. Your great great great great grand kids will thank you for it. L:P

Oh, don't get me wrong: My comics are well-cared for. Many of the high, high end books -- though not all -- were slabbed, some signed. But I guess I just can't help but think to myself how those GA books (especially) are going to stand up for another 25-30 years without active conservation taking place. 

And not to be a jerk to my "great great great great grand kids," but I'm almost more inclined to get those "thanks" from my wife and kids so I can enjoy it :D I guess that brings up my other question:

How long are you going to keep your collections? Any plans to eventually sell them off as a part of retirement? 

If I can afford it, I will die with a comic collection.

I suppose my kid(s) will end up with it and will do what they see fit.

On 1/27/2018 at 12:59 PM, newshane said:

Yeah, that was my original thought. But hen I began thinking how I’d probably be better able to sell it and realize a better deal than they would.

2 hours ago, FineCollector said:
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:53 AM, lizards2 said:

I live in a pretty much ideal storage environment, so my childhood comics haven't visibly aged.  That being said, my plans are to have them mostly or all gone by the time I die.

Quitter.

(thumbsu

On 1/25/2018 at 7:51 AM, Martin Sinescu said:

I don't think any of us will live long enough to see these materials deteriorate that far. Paper conservation has been thoroughly researched to preserve plenty of important historical documents and that research has trickled down directly to our hobby. Comics aren't invincible, but, barring natural disasters or other outside influences, they should outlast all of us when stored in a reasonable environment. 

I agree. I live in Miami one of the areas of the world with the highest levels of humidity. Especially during the summer months. I've had a bunch of raw books I bought in 1990 that haven't changed one bit since the day I bought em. They still look new including the staples. I haven't even taken particular care with them either. 

Also have a several beat up raw ASM books from early 70's that my older cousin owned since the 80's. They also appear exactly as I remember when I first saw them. 

On 1/27/2018 at 12:59 PM, newshane said:

I am not planning on getting rid of my collection as long as I am alive and in full command of my mental facilities.

I already divided my collection between my Son and Daughter and it is stated in my will who gets what.

I also left detailed instructions on handling/grading/storage/selling and links to forums and sites with info so they are armed with knowledge.