• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boat anchor SA keys
1 1

24 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Agreed - I was not implying that books like ST110 will plummet, rather that at its peak it was overvalued and will correct back down to a lower price (which it has already - although I still think a bit of room to drop) and then (as you mentioned) any price increase will be slow and steady (which is appropriate versus massive gains based on speculation).

I am really interested to see what happens to Iron Man 55 - I think that book (while awesome) is likely due a big correction - it just doesn't have the impact that a villain book like FF5 does (i.e., I don't think Thanos is any more important than Galactus - but IM55 far out prices FF49), but perhaps I am under estimating the importance of Thanos.

A little bit after Infinity Gauntlet so say.... 1993ish I knew Iron Man #55 was the start of Jim Starlin's cosmic issues before Captain Marvel and a very minor key.   To me it didn't look nearly as cool as his Warlock stuff so I never really cared for it.  When I returned to collecting around 2010 I saw it mentioned on top Bronze lists and was amazed that it was more than $100.  I'm surprised how high this and Werewolf by Night 32 have become.    I've accepted Hulk #181 and ASM #129's rise but have a really tough time with IM#55.   Is this the first book to be fueled by movie hype/speculation and have WBN 32 just followed?  I can't imagine having to pay IM#55 prices for low-mid grade in 10 years.    

It looks like 2014 was the year IM55 took off.  From 2004 to 2014 there's been about a 900% increase in high grades...  That's quite insane and even the best villain book FF#5 midgrade wouldn't go from the 1.5k of now to 10k+ 10 years from now.

1 hour ago, Knightsofold said:

A little bit after Infinity Gauntlet so say.... 1993ish I knew Iron Man #55 was the start of Jim Starlin's cosmic issues before Captain Marvel and a very minor key.   To me it didn't look nearly as cool as his Warlock stuff so I never really cared for it.  When I returned to collecting around 2010 I saw it mentioned on top Bronze lists and was amazed that it was more than $100.  I'm surprised how high this and Werewolf by Night 32 have become.    I've accepted Hulk #181 and ASM #129's rise but have a really tough time with IM#55.   Is this the first book to be fueled by movie hype/speculation and have WBN 32 just followed?  I can't imagine having to pay IM#55 prices for low-mid grade in 10 years.    

It looks like 2014 was the year IM55 took off.  From 2004 to 2014 there's been about a 900% increase in high grades...  That's quite insane and even the best villain book FF#5 midgrade wouldn't go from the 1.5k of now to 10k+ 10 years from now.

Issues like WWBN #32, IM #55, ASM #129...I honestly don't know about their future market prices. I'd have to think they'll cool quite drastically and go back down. They're all benefiting from mad hype (WWBN #32 being a bit of a different story).

There's a reason ASM #129's copies--high grade copies--recently flooded the market. People are cashing in while they can. I don't blame them.

23 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:

Issues like WWBN #32, IM #55, ASM #129...I honestly don't know about their future market prices. I'd have to think they'll cool quite drastically and go back down. They're all benefiting from mad hype (WWBN #32 being a bit of a different story).

There's a reason ASM #129's copies--high grade copies--recently flooded the market. People are cashing in while they can. I don't blame them.

Of the three, much as I like Moon knight, that book has baffled me the most. So it seems like the purest spec play of the three.

Punisher has always seemed to me to be a two-dimensional (albeit cool) supporting character, but he grew a fan base and carried series. He may not be at his all-time peak, but it's a first appearance of a significant character.

I like IM55 as a key, but it's so much more than Thanos (and Drax, for that matter). Yes, the big guy is the lynchpin, but it's the launch pad of all Starlin's cosmic Marvel contributions of the bronze era, and that's pretty far-reaching. I think it's a key, but to view it as a key solely because of Thanos' first app diminishes its importance.

I see the FF52 arguments but think it gets more of a pass than say FF45 because it's Marvel's first major black character. Look at Dell's Lobo or GL87; this is enough to buoy it. I still say Josie 45 (first black character in an Archie comic) is underappreciated, given the status of the other three keys in this "first" genre.

Fun stuff to kick around. Of all of it, Bats 121 baffles me the most. Sure, tough in grade but many books are. It's status just seems outsized compared to Mr Zero/Mr Freeze's status in the Batman rogues gallery. He's barely an afterthought for a long time. But obviously I'm missing something that the broader collecting market sees.

11 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Of the three, much as I like Moon knight, that book has baffled me the most. So it seems like the purest spec play of the three.

Punisher has always seemed to me to be a two-dimensional (albeit cool) supporting character, but he grew a fan base and carried series. He may not be at his all-time peak, but it's a first appearance of a significant character.

I like IM55 as a key, but it's so much more than Thanos (and Drax, for that matter). Yes, the big guy is the lynchpin, but it's the launch pad of all Starlin's cosmic Marvel contributions of the bronze era, and that's pretty far-reaching. I think it's a key, but to view it as a key solely because of Thanos' first app diminishes its importance.

I see the FF52 arguments but think it gets more of a pass than say FF45 because it's Marvel's first major black character. Look at Dell's Lobo or GL87; this is enough to buoy it. I still say Josie 45 (first black character in an Archie comic) is underappreciated, given the status of the other three keys in this "first" genre.

Fun stuff to kick around. Of all of it, Bats 121 baffles me the most. Sure, tough in grade but many books are. It's status just seems outsized compared to Mr Zero/Mr Freeze's status in the Batman rogues gallery. He's barely an afterthought for a long time. But obviously I'm missing something that the broader collecting market sees.

Agreed regarding Bats 121. That said, I'd love to own one, but it's just another hot book at the moment. A la Superboy 68. A book that was underappreciated so long now it's red hot...it'll simmer.