• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 #462 Adventure comics

26 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Here's a 5.5 with more wear, deeper creases (especially back bottom left).  Adventure Comics 462 --> And this was graded the summer of 2014 which was one of CGC's "strict" periods.

The 5.5 is vastly superior. it doesn't have the 4 inch furrowed/flaked front cover crease, the black margins aren't all scuffed up, and it's far more attractive. It's at least a grade better than the one not slabbed.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

The 5.5 is vastly superior. it doesn't have the 4 inch furrowed/flaked front cover crease, the black margins aren't all scuffed up, and it's far more attractive. It's at least a grade better than the one not slabbed.

I disagree.  Its also in a slab so there are small details you're missing.

4 minutes ago, comicquant said:

What would you grade this as?

s-l1600.jpg

I don't see a 4 to 5 inch flaked cover crease on this one. Of what relevance is this book to the Adventure, which does have a 4 to 5 inch flaked cover crease? Let's find books to compare with 4 to 5 inch cover creases that are scuffed up around the margins of the artwork for comparison. Comparing that lower grade Adventure to this middle grade book is a moot point, don't you agree?.

Edited by James J Johnson

10 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I don't see a 4 to 5 inch flaked cover crease on this one. Of what relevance is this book to the Adventure, which does have a 4 to 5 inch flaked cover crease? Let's find books to compare with 4 to 5 inch cover creases that are scuffed up around the margins of the artwork for comparison. Comparing that lower grade Adventure to this middle grade book is a moot point, don't you agree?.

Which crease do you think is the "4 to 5 inch flaked crease"?  I could be missing it.  Are you referring to the 1.5 inch scratch (typically considered 'wear') on the cover that starts in the UPC and runs to the first staple?  Unless this is a double giant-size treasury I think the "4 to 5 inches" is a bit overstated.  I believe this comic is 10 1/4 long so that would be nearly half its length so I must not be seeing what you are.

Edited by comicquant

9 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Which crease do you think is the "4 to 5 inch flaked crease"?  I could be missing it.  Are you referring to the 1.5 inch scratch (typically considered 'wear') on the cover that starts in the UPC and runs to the first staple?  Unless this is a double giant-size treasury I think the "4 to 5 inches" is a bit overstated.  I believe this comics is 10 1/4 long so that would be nearly half its length so I must not be seeing what you are.

9 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Which crease do you think is the "4 to 5 inch flaked crease"?  I could be missing it.  Are you referring to the 1.5 inch scratch (typically considered 'wear') on the cover that starts in the UPC and runs to the first staple?  Unless this is a double giant-size treasury I think the "4 to 5 inches" is a bit overstated.  I believe this comics is 10 1/4 long so that would be nearly half its length so I must not be seeing what you are.

No. Four inches isn't half the length of a 10 and 1/4 inch long comic. It's the crease through the UPC code, or what I assumed is a crease as it breaks all the black coloration. Now, to be totally accurate, and since I don't have a 362 to physically measure cover coordinates precisely, I'll extrapolate distance by using the image and assuming 10 and 1/4 inches length. The crease appears to be 3 and 3/4 inches in length, almost 4 inches, not 4 to 5 as originally estimated (as I initially thought "slightly greater than 4"). To me, this looks like a crease, all the color flaked out, a white (underlying paper fibers exposed), I want to be very, very precise, flake line indicative of a crease. Is that there? Or is that flake line that looks like a crease an optical illusion or a figment of my imagination? Or if it is really there, to be ignored when grading this book, to cover all possibilities?

Edited by James J Johnson

10 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Whatever that is, if actually there, appears to run from the spine, to and through the area of the UPC box, all the way down to the bottom of the cover, ergo my 4 inch original estimate. Not just to the UPC box, but all the way through it and beyond.

Just now, James J Johnson said:

No. Four inches isn't half the length of a 10 and 1/4 inch long comic. It's the crease through the UPC code, or what I assumed is a crease as it breaks all the black coloration. Now, to be totally accurate, and since I don't have a 362 to physically measure cover coordinates precisely, I'll extrapolate distance by using the image and assuming 10 and 1/4 inches length. The crease appears to be 3 and 3/4 inches in length, almost 4 inches, not 4 to 5 as originally estimated (as I initially thought "slightly greater than 4"). To me, this looks like a crease, all the color flaked out, a white (underlying paper fibers exposed), I want to be very, very precise, flake line indicative of a crease. Is that there? Or is that flake line that looks like a crease an optical illusion or a figment of my imagination?

No, but 5 inches is "nearly" half as I stated.