• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Antonio Comic Book Show Sunday July 3,2005 -San Antonio,Texas

44 posts in this topic

I promote small one day collectibles shows in Texas.

James Vaughn

JMV Entertainment

And you seem to do a spectacular job of it; keep up the good work! foreheadslap.gif

Perhaps you could also promote a cancellation schedule as well. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

acclaim.gif

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Good one foolman (ha ha),

But seriously,Its better to have tried and promote a show and cancelled due to low dealer interest ... tonofbricks.gif

than to sit back and make fun of a promoters misfortune without ever promoting a show yourself .... 893naughty-thumb.gif

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

James Vaughn

JMV Entertainment

Maybe if you don't try to promote so many small shows and focus on just 2 or 3 shows a year you would possibly have more success. Possibly even try to get in a comic artist or two there are some local texas ones that are good they might even come for free if you let them sell their art for free. plus maybe try to go to some shows like dallas comiccon to promote your show throw out some flyers maybe wizard world texas or some of the larger shows in houston. maybe talk to dealers at these cons ask them if they are interested in attending your show. Don't just make 6 or more crappy shows a year and cancel them if you lose money. I have worked with and around most of the people who have promoted dallas shows and I know it is hard but if you keep canceling and don't promote right your "shows" will never be successful!

James --

Please ... PLEASE ... I'M BEGGING YOU ...

Turn off the automatic music on your site. It's annoying beyond words.

At the very least, give the user an on/off switch for the music.

Music, animated gifs, scrolling text -- all that "cute" stuff just gets in the way

of any site's message.

I set up at the Dallas comic con. I used to work with gary tanner when he had local dallas shows. I also do alot of business with paradise comics who run the Toronto Comic-con. Do you ever have anyone who sells certified merchandise at your shows like CGC/Pgx, AFA, SGC/PSA but especially CGC

Kris,

Jim Steele used to be our CGC guy until he became a full time employee with Heritage Auctions as a cataloger for their comic book auction division.

Why not set up Sunday in San Antonio ? There is a Star Trek convention at one of the other nearby airport hotels this weekend.Give you a good deal on tables for my show.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

James Vaughn

JMV Entertainment

What is the regular table cost 50 bucks no thanks I set up a cgc submission center at bens show for fifty and dallas comiccon is a much larger show with more traffic Plus Having a authorized CGC submission center at your shows could help bring in more traffic so unless tables are extremely cheap or free I'll just stick to my regular routine. I wish you the best of luck with your shows I might even come to the irving one to check it out as a spectator but Idon't need to be doing more shows I need to work on my website and store front and going to more of the larger national shows with good track records and more oppurtunity to accept a get signature series submissions.

Sorry DarthDiesel,

No western variants were to be found at the show Sunday. As far as attendance goes it was not bad for a Sunday one day show on the 4th of July weekend.

There was a lot of military families visiting their loved ones (San Antonio has several Air Force and Army bases in the area)and high end tourists from Mexico staying at the hotel.

Local collectors flush with cash were enthusiastic with their buying because of all the great deals to be had.The most requested items were Silver Age Spidermans and Bronze age horror books.

We have a show July 17 in Houston,Texas and we will keep a eye out for your variants.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

James Vaughn

JMV Entertainment

Sorry DarthDiesel,

No western variants were to be found at the show Sunday. As far as attendance goes it was not bad for a Sunday one day show on the 4th of July weekend.

There was a lot of military families visiting their loved ones (San Antonio has several Air Force and Army bases in the area)and high end tourists from Mexico staying at the hotel.

Local collectors flush with cash were enthusiastic with their buying because of all the great deals to be had.The most requested items were Silver Age Spidermans and Bronze age horror books.

We have a show July 17 in Houston,Texas and we will keep a eye out for your variants.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

James Vaughn

JMV Entertainment

Wow... I thought I was capable of self-serving posts... foreheadslap.gif

So, Mr. Sonofpromoterman, would you care to enlighten the board members here as to just how many dealers you had for this "show"? Or shall I?

Since I know you are busy with the 137 other coin, card and comic shows that you are promoting this year, maybe I should save time and answer for you...

Let's see here... there was you... and then there was... ummm... well... there was you... and um...

And I am sure those "high end tourists from Mexico" were ecstatic at the chance to look through your six boxes of $1 comics. That must have been like Cinco De Mayo all over again for them. I am surprised we didn't have news reports of mass suicides on loop 410 from people who found out someone had already bought the only copy of X-Factor #23. Instead of gleefully cracking cascarones over each others' heads in celebration of all the wonder and grandeur that your comic show could provide, they were forced to go home with only crumpled balls of aluminum foil left over from the janitor's bean and cheese breakfast tacos.

It's not a crime to have promoted a bad show. It's not a crime to cancel a show. But lying about how well a show went so you can trick people into believing you again get better attendance at your next show is just wrong...

Your "show" didn't get off the ground. Admit it. See what you did wrong (or didn't do right) and improve for next time.

But telling people on a message board how great it was (when you know they probably won't see the truth for themselves) in hopes they will recommend you to a friend is wrong. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Dear Redneck,

Sorry we did not meet your expectations.

If you will notice I said attendance was not bad considering it was a Sunday on the 4th of July weekend.I never said that we had thousands or even hundreds of attendees.

As far as dealers go I did not say we had a lot of dealers. Ask your fellow San Antonio board members who signed up to do the show and then did not show up (one of the reason shows get cancelled on short notice).

And don't forget to mention you paid no admission fee to get in which is probably a good thing for you since you live so far away (in San Antonio ? )

So how come you did not introduce yourself as a fellow board member at the show ? Too busy looking for things to complain about no doubt.

Do us and yourself a favor just don't come to our next show in San Antonio,that way you won't be disappointed and we wont have to say "Sorry we did not meet your expectations"

sign-offtopic.gif

And last but not least what is up with all the put downs on the Hispanics ? I am Hispanic and I wish you would have made them remarks to me in person like a man rather than hiding behind some alias on message board.

I do not hide ,I want the world to know who I am....

James Vaughn

JMV Entertainment yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif