• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marked through CCA on covers?

3 posts in this topic

So just completed my Jungle Action collection with #21 and #22. Just noticed that there are purple lines through the CCA notice. And looking around, I have other comics like this.

I know the line through the barcode convention was about returnable newsstand books and doesn't generally affect grading, but what about these CCA lines? What do they mean?

#21 is the issue I'm most curious about, but I wanted to provide multiple issues, to show there are about 5-6 issues with the exact same putple line through the CCA seal only.

Thoughts? These are 25 cent copies in an era where the 30 cent copies were going to Canada, so I don't think it's that. (I've just never heard of this or noticed it until today).

Is this common? On an expensive book, should I pay to have it removed? #21 will likely be slabbed, just trying to figure out what to do (if anything) about that purple marker on the code. 

image.png.fb56a0362e5d166c2c82f516cdc6645c.png

What comipop says. A local comic book store did this for the books they sold for .25-50 cents. Their reason for doing so is they did not want collectors building their collection with books bought out of the cheap boxes. If you wanted NM, you paid the NM price. If you wanted a reader, you got a copy with red ink marking the book on the Comic Code box.

It's not practical to remove pen or marker ink. It would take solvents which would 1) be expensive  2) May well remove some of the ink on the cover and 3) likely earn a restored, purple label from CGC

Edited by Tony S