• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Avengers 1 - Grade In!
2 2

38 posts in this topic

I'll be sending this gem in this week so I should have it back fairly quickly.  Want to give an educated guess what it will come back with.  Centerfold is secure - no interior defects and both staples are attached.  I'd put page quality at Off-White.

Avengers 1 back 4.0.jpg

Avengers 1 front 4.0.jpg

Edited by 1Cool

No fair.  You have to pick one.  It’s probably a 2.5 at worst and a prayer of a 4.5 so there isn’t many grades in that range.  See if you can guess the CGC grade.

29 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

No fair.  You have to pick one.  It’s probably a 2.5 at worst and a prayer of a 4.5 so there isn’t many grades in that range.  See if you can guess the CGC grade.

I'll go with 3.5 then :sorry:

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell

I'll weigh in on how I saw it.  I had it as a gimmee 3.0 when I first saw it.  Looked at a few CGC 3.0 and thought this one presented a bit better so I bumped it up to a 3.5 and that is my guess.  I did find a few CGC 4.0 key books that looked pretty similar so who knows.  I'd be happy with 3.5 but would not be surprised with a 3.0.

Edited by 1Cool

Book gets shipped out today so I hope to have it back in 3 weeks or so.  Keep them guesses coming in.  Anyone want to go with 2.5?  or a crazy guess of 4.5?

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

The slabbed examples posted for comparison to the originally discussed Avengers 1 all have one thing in common. Much tighter at the spine than the Avengers 1.

I agree most of them do have tighter staples.  So you are saying staple pulls have a bigger downgrade compared to a piece missing, pretty heavy marvel chipping or severe tape staining?

Edited by 1Cool

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I agree most of them do have tighter staples.  So you are saying staple pulls have a bigger downgrade compared to a piece missing, pretty heavy marvel chipping or severe tape staining?

IMO, the entire spine area, that is, the spine and the area two inches to the right of the Avengers 1 has significantly more wear than the other examples imaged. Enough so that I see it as being in a lower band of grade area than the rest in this thread. .

As far as chips go, there are many CGC graded Silver age books with chips. Some of them quite deep and many, that get 6.5 and 7.0 based on the structure of the spine being of high grade quality. Conversely, I've never seen a CGC graded Silver age book with a spine and surrounding spine area like this getting better than a 3.5, even if the rest of it was free from all other defect. The spine is the heart of the book. The alpha and omega that graders assess other flaws against.

Edited by James J Johnson