• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox 's SILVER SURFER: THE MOVIE (TBD)
1 1

30 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

But whether we eventually get a Norrin Radd movie or Disney-Plus how or not, I still think pre-production on a Surfer live action is a bogus story. We're not even done with Phase Four yet and pre-production on FF will surely begin before they even start to consider a Surfer project.

Did you watch the video with the Feige interview? It looks promising.

14 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Did you watch the video with the Feige interview? It looks promising.

Yes. Believe me, I'd love to see the Silver one on the silver screen. Before Carol Danvers' Captain Marvel stole my heart, I'd go back and forth between Warlock and the Surfer as my favorite Marvel Comics character. I'm just a little skeptical of the Surfer's appeal to general movie audiences. Adam Warlock is a similar character to me. I feel Adam may be better served as a member of the Guardians rather than his own movie. Even if they do his seminal Jim Starlin Magus storyline, it could still be done as a Guardians film.

When I took a screenwriting class back in college, for an exercise in adaptation, I wrote a treatment for a Silver Surfer movie and also wrote out a few scenes including an opener. My treatment was the same as the comics, a Herald of Galactus who comes to Earth to herald his master's destruction of the planet. The Surfer befriends a non-powered Fantastic Four and regains his humanity through Alicia, just like in the original FF storyline. My funny scene was the Surfer surfing the internet. My opening scene was the Surfer on a distant water planet at the beginning stages of life. He explores it curiously, observing a little amoeba at the water's surface, then calls Galactus, and the planet is consumed before it had a chance to begin. My treatment story would also flashback to the Surfer's human life on Zenn La to explain his story (just like Surfer #1) and I had Alicia be similar to Shalla Bal as that would have been what attracted the Surfer to her to begin with. It was a hit with the screenwriting class, but I never did anything more with it. Then the not-so-great Rise of the Silver Surfer came out a few years later and crushed my dreams. Though I thought Fishburne's Surfer was okay.

So for sure, I'd love to see him at the movies. Like everyone else, I've imagined a Surfer movie all my life and even wrote one on paper. I guess I also have a purist view of the Surfer. I like him as that blank slate philosopher that Stan Lee wrote in the classic stories. Maybe Feige and Co. could finally make that work.

During a recent interview with Josh Horowitz's Happy Sad Confused Podcast, McKay was asked if he was still keen on directing a Silver Surfer movie for Marvel. The director – who is best known for Anchorman, Step Brothers, The Big Short, and Vice – previously expressed interest in telling Norrin Radd's story, but that was when Fox still had the rights to him. McKay revealed that something got in the way of his previous attempt to try and make Silver Surfer, teased his ideas for what the movie could be, and confirmed he's still interested and might call Marvel to see what the status is now.

"Silver Surfer was tricky. There was something about it, cause we did look into it. I think it's connected to the Fantastic Four and because of that kind of lives under its own umbrella. But there was something that got in the way of it cause we did look into it a couple of years ago, but I could be wrong. I could be misremembering, but there was some reason it didn't happen or someone else was already working on it. But no, I was definitely into it because that would be a very easy one. If you look at Galactus and the origin story of the Silver Surfer, how he sacrificed himself for his home planet. Norrin Radd, was that his name. I haven't thought that name in a long time. That would be a very easy one to make it an environmental allegory. I think that could be an incredible movie, and I think it could be visually the most stunning Marvel movie that's ever been made. I haven't lost interest in that. In fact, now that you mention it maybe I'll lob a phone call and see what's going on."

"...If you look at Galactus and the origin story of the Silver Surfer, how he sacrificed himself for his home planet. Norrin Radd, was that his name. I haven't thought that name in a long time. That would be a very easy one to make it an environmental allegory...."

OFFS

750.jpg

The Silver Surfer special or movie latest rumors (as has been noted) are coming from less credible sources for now. But then it is quoted and altered slightly to gain social media traction. To include how Marvel Studios already has it planned out how to tie this into the upcoming Fantastic Four movie.

Hopefully, something comes of this after all these years.

:wishluck:

According to trusted industry scooper CanWeGetSomeToast, a "Silver Surfer project is going to stem out" of Matt Shakman's Fantastic Four movie. However, fans shouldn't expect to see the Silver Surfer in the upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 6 title as the scooper added that the cosmic hero "will NOT be in the movie." Created by Jack Kirby, the Silver Surfer first appeared in 1966's Fantastic Four #48, serving as a herald of Galactus. He was previously adapted to live-action in the 2007 film, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, where he was portrayed by Doug Jones and voiced by Laurence Fishburne.

Rumors of a solo Silver Surfer project first emerged in October 2022. At that time, it was reported that Marvel Studios was working on a Disney+ Special Presentation, similar to Werewolf by Night, featuring the Silver Surfer working for Galacutis in the far corners of the cosmos. Unlike this recent rumor, Silver Surfer was expected to release ahead of the upcoming Fantastic Four movie. Whispers of a solo project began circulating online again in March 2023 following rumors that Shakman had signed a multi-year deal with Marvel Studios which would see him direct multiple episodes of WandaVision spinoff Vision Quest, as well as executive produce a Silver Surfer series. At this time, Marvel Studios has not publicly commented on any of the Silver Surfer rumors, meaning fans should take these claims with a grain of salt for now.