• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the days of wholesaling drek over?

52 posts in this topic

I have never been a fan of moving $5-10 books up until I started selling on amazon

Amazon has this ranking system which tells you right away how quick an item will move (slow asin vs quick asin books). This changed my approach about the whole "hot" market on ebay.

A $100 slow moving book is just that - slow 

a fast selling $5-10 book will get you that $100 alot quicker if you have it around

1 minute ago, Aweandlorder said:

???

What is that link supposed to show?

Scanning and listing an entire longbox of $5-15 books on eBay takes a ton of time. At that pricepoint it's not worth the effort to me. Others might not agree, especially if they like scanning, listing and packing. A second job in online $5-15 retail is not attractive to me whatsoever.  

9 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Ghost Rider #1 fetches anywhere between $5-25 today. You will have no problem getting 10 bucks for a 9.6-9.8 raw. X-Force 8 & 11 are solid $10 books, Some New mutants btw 85-100 (excluding the big ones of course) are solid $10 books in NM... Newsstand image books are all the rage... Plenty other examples

Maybe just not here then

Still say drek should be sold, not stored

Just now, october said:

???

What is that link supposed to show?

Scanning and listing an entire longbox of $5-15 books on eBay takes a ton of time. At that pricepoint it's not worth the effort to me. Others might not agree, especially if they like scanning, listing and packing. A second job in online $5-15 retail is not attractive to me whatsoever.  

The link is showing you over 100 instances where dollar bin book is yeilding over 10 in todays market

I can show you hundred more examples if you have all day

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

The link is showing you over 100 instances where dollar bin book is yeilding over 10 in todays market

I can show you hundred more examples if you have all day

I was talking about $5-15 Ghost Rider, X-Force and Spawn issues.

Anything above $30, to me, is worth retailing...but would I keep a garage full of stuff in anticipation that I might have a half dozen copies of the next $50 NM 99 a year from now? Absolutely not. 

You're grotesquely inflating those figures for purpose of entertainment or factual conversation?

The guys I know that do this have garages full. They keep all the drek, a book gets hot, they sift through it all and pull out the hot books and sell them. Unless you have a crystal ball, not sure how else to do it at a volume that makes it worthwhile. 

5 minutes ago, october said:

I was talking about $5-15 Ghost Rider, X-Force and Spawn issues.

Anything above $30, to me, is worth retailing...but would I keep a garage full of stuff in anticipation that I might have a half dozen copies of the next $50 NM 99 a year from now? Absolutely not. 

So what you're saying is, some people may do things differently? Odd....

I threw away HUNDREDS of PERFECT copies of New Mutants 99, Spawn #1, Ghost Rider 1, X-Force 11... Many many many others

God knows how many newsstand image copies

I would estimate that I threw away thousands of dollars worth of books which would have been sold today in matter of weeks.

And Im no dealer

I threw away HUNDREDS of PERFECT copies of New Mutants 99, Spawn #1, Ghost Rider 1, X-Force 11... Many many many others

God knows how many newsstand image copies

I would estimate that I threw away thousands of dollars worth of books which would have been sold today in matter of weeks.

And Im no dealer

So have I. Many times. I don't care.

The amount of books I would've had to keep, the space they would take up, and the hassle of retailing them outweighs the benefits....for me. 

My opinion is that at this point I think that its paramount for small time sellers like myself to catalog their inventory. Ive never had my inventory cataloged.. Always worked on a per collection basis.

But seeing that 90s drek is moving faster today than non key silver/bronze age books is a major game changer for me

I think we all wrestle with this thought every time someone offers to buy 20 long boxes of picked over drek for $15 a long box after an ok show.  I do believe the days of completely dismissing picked over late 80s /  90s long boxes  is coming to a close since so many copper books are pretty quick sales at pretty nice prices (especially in nice grades).  The old rule of 25 is kicking in pretty fierce right now with a huge batch of the 90s books and those drek boxes are becoming gold mines for people willing to put time into selling them.  Of course now it seems like modern books (especially variants) have become the new drek and people are selling these for pennies on the dollar.

Edited by 1Cool

10 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I think we all wrestle with this thought every time someone offers to buy 20 long boxes of picked over drek for $15 a long box after an ok show.  I do believe the days of completely dismissing picked over late 80s /  90s long boxes  is coming to a close since so many copper books are pretty quick sales at pretty nice prices (especially in nice grades).  The old rule of 25 is kicking in pretty fierce right now with a huge batch of the 90s books and those drek boxes are becoming gold mines for people willing to put time into selling them.  Of course now it seems like modern books (especially variants) have become the new drek and people are selling these for pennies on the dollar.

It's almost like, at one time, Coppers were Moderns....

tumblr_m0wb2xz9Yh1r08e3p.jpg

Edited by ygogolak

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

The trend back then was having copper books which turned keys due to movie spec.

The trend today is more of a nostalgic era and newsstand editions ALONG WITH movie spec books

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Don't be mad - I'm sure modern books will be hot again in 15 - 20 years.

It would be interesting if there was a well established Rule for this.

One that applies to every facet of collecting anything and one that has been an accurate Rule since - at least - the advent of mass media and the collecting culture.

It would also be interesting to look at this "drek" of which you speak - the stuff that you say is popping - to see if it is between 22-27 years old now at the youngest. I'd venture to say that yes, yes it is. I would also venture to say that this "drek" was beloved by men whom, 22-27 years ago, were between 13-19 years old.

I simply do not understand why the fact that late 80s and early 90s comics are exploding in value is news to anyone. Five years from now we're going to be talking about how Daredevil 1 and Heroes Reborn books from 1998 have suddenly seen a quick ramp up in value.

And speaking as someone who has boxes and boxes and boxes of this kind of stuff, you can't throw anything out anymore.