• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing Cracked Cases

3 posts in this topic

I’m new to this CGC thing and purchased a CGC signature 9.2 Walking Dead Ryan Ottley variant (signed by Ottley). The case is cracked on the back along the bottom. I want to know what procedures I need to do to have the case replaced. Unfortunately CGC is closed for weekend but I did leave a message for customer service to call me back next week. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. 

26 minutes ago, Jwgafford said:

I’m new to this CGC thing and purchased a CGC signature 9.2 Walking Dead Ryan Ottley variant (signed by Ottley). The case is cracked on the back along the bottom. I want to know what procedures I need to do to have the case replaced. Unfortunately CGC is closed for weekend but I did leave a message for customer service to call me back next week. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. 

It's called getting your book "Reholdered".  You send the book in the slab and CGC replaces the cracked slab with a new one.  Your book will retain the same grade unless the crack/damage is significant enough that it might warrant a re-grade.  It's important that the book stays in the slab and that you don't try to remove it.  As soon as you remove the book from the outer shell, it loses its grade, which would be especially bad on a Signature Series book.

https://www.cgccomics.com/signature-series/

Edited by ExNihilo

47 minutes ago, Jwgafford said:

If it arrived with a cracked case, you should either get your money back or be reimbursed for your expenses to get it reholdered. I would not contact CGC, it's not their fault. Go back directly to the seller.