• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looken' at GPA over here and...
4 4

50 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

What do you mean by "stirred up"? Because villain first appearances def. see price fluctuations, to include movie hype... And I hate seeing Dr. Doom as your example...come on, he deserves better than that...:sorry:

Had this same thought, but don't do it...it's just the hype creeping into your head.

I’m not poopooing on Doom. I think that aside from issue #1, #5 is the next best FF book to have. My thought process stems from a very simple common sense approach that it’s safer to go with the main hero of the story opposed to a villain. In the long run, walking across the street is safer than running. 

Playing the spec game can be a slippery slope. Over the last few years, I've primarily gone after keys that I would want in my PC for the long-run, and been very aware of trying to buy before any movie hype (or after) and not during - I've only spec'd on a couple books and gotten doubles of: BA12 (anticipating another upswing after Suicide Squad 2, Gotham City Sirens, and the boatload of other Harley movies that have been soft-announced but not started) and NM87 (will probably look to unload this as Deadpool 2 movie gets closer to release). 

I've tried to stay disciplined and not go trigger happy on speculation though - it's a dangerous game, agree with others that you win on some, but often lose on many more.

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

Not to hijack the thread and turn it into a FF52 discussion, but seems to be an awful lot of inventory out there (both graded and raw)...census shows 2700+ graded. Were the print runs for FF a lot higher in 1966 vs 1961?

In a word, yes.

Not only were sales better, but by 1965, people were actively speculating and putting away multiple copies. In 1966, a 100 copies bought wholesale cost  $8.00.

Storage was actually a bigger issue than cost. I remember a correspondence with a Canadian dealer( Max Seeley?) about how he had to move apartments every two or three years. I. The days before boxes, he stored his comics vertically. He had photos of stacks of books everywhere.

Edited by shadroch

7 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Buy one now - don't wait for the show since I'm sure you will do better online compared to keys at a show.  If the book did not go down after the movie came out it's in a new category which means all bets are off how high copies will climb to. 

Would the same be said about Wonder Woman keys?  I know the big 3 All Star #8, Sensation Comics #1, and Wonder Woman #1 went up before the movie, but have they come down yet?  Is it too soon to tell?

46 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Would the same be said about Wonder Woman keys?  I know the big 3 All Star #8, Sensation Comics #1, and Wonder Woman #1 went up before the movie, but have they come down yet?  Is it too soon to tell?

My opinion is the age and difficulty getting Wonder Woman keys makes it a different animal compared to Black Panther.  Being able to say you own the 1st Black Panther has a lot of bang and most people just can not afford or even find a 1st Wonder Woman.  Wonder Woman books are still hot but FF 52 has the right mix of fairly difficult to find and not impossible that makes me think it has room to grow from here.

Just my 2cents but I don’t see FF52 dropping. Block Buster movie, pretty snazzy looking black ink cover, character/hero first and actually appears on the cover in an appropriate intro pose. So much great aspects for a key book. It’s solid and safe and silver age. Buy now!

In a WTB thread for a high grade FF52, someone said to wait for the book to fall. I made these comments, which I think apply to this discussion.

Normally, I would agree with you, but this issue has some special, long lasting appeal to it.  In a typical movie scenario the prices spike before the movie and immediately cool off afterward. With this book, the prices seem to be rising more after the movie. I think it was a bigger hit than anyone imagined and there will be more movies coming. It's truly rare in the high grades with that black cover. Just having the opportunity to buy this book in 9.6 would be rare.

On 3/12/2018 at 11:12 AM, Callaway29 said:

Not to hijack the thread and turn it into a FF52 discussion, but seems to be an awful lot of inventory out there (both graded and raw)...census shows 2700+ graded. Were the print runs for FF a lot higher in 1966 vs 1961?

Yes but the census does not show a lot of those copies in high grade. Just looking at the regular Universal copies, there are only 5 9.8's . 191 in 9.0 or higher. 308 in 8.0/8.5 . 394 in 7.0/7.5 and 428 in 6.0/6.5 . With the black cover, most copies did not survive in high grade.  

BTW, there are 845 copies 5.5 and below. This census is heavily skewed to the lower grades.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

On 3/12/2018 at 1:40 PM, shadroch said:
On 3/12/2018 at 12:12 PM, Callaway29 said:

In a word, yes.

Not only were sales better, but by 1965, people were actively speculating and putting away multiple copies. In 1966, a 100 copies bought wholesale cost  $8.00.

Storage was actually a bigger issue than cost. I remember a correspondence with a Canadian dealer( Max Seeley?) about how he had to move apartments every two or three years. I. The days before boxes, he stored his comics vertically. He had photos of stacks of books everywhere.

Another major difference is production quality (specifically for Marvels).

While some mid 60's books were extremely prone to chipping, the inks used compared to 1961 made later books much more durable. They smudged much easier pre 1963 (rough timeline - as during that period it actually varied issue to issue and month to month) than they did post 1963.

This smudging alone prevented many copies making it through the years in high grade.

This coupled with speculation and population as the years progressed are two of the biggest reasons early 1960's books are much less common, especially in grade.

Edited by VintageComics