• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America Weird Tales #74 - Highest Recorded Grade just posted

8 posts in this topic

Hi

I just listed an incredible book on my website.

Captain America Weird Tales #74 CGC 8.0 Blue Label

It honestly looks to be a solid 8.5 and maybe even a 9.0 but still, this is by far the nicest copy ever graded. Just look at the scans.

This copy sold at Heritage three years ago and set a record at that time with very spirited bidding.

It was distributed in Canada and is the only known copy but is identical to the U.S. distributed issue. Hard core collectors understand that it is exceptionally Rare and much like the Captain America Annual, which was also distributed in Canada.

If you are looking for a tremendous book, that is truly rare, with a large collector base, this is it.

Considered by many to be one of the best Golden Age covers ever created.

Go to my website and click on the RECENT ADDITIONS button at the left side of my Home page.

PGC Mint - Huge assortment of CGC graded NM books

Are you submitting books to PGX now, Mark?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi - No, I just liked these issues and they are so difficult in decent shape. So I purchaced them already slabbed and wanted to see how they do. I checked them over carefully and was pleased.

The covers are just great and although I would love to have them in NM, I don't know if I ever will have the opportunity.

Take care

PS

By the way. Do you know anything about this company? Are they on friendly terms with CGC?

Any input is appreciated.

Cool item - though I remember a lower grade Canadian edition selling on ebay a few years back - for about the same as a U.S. edition would have gone for IIRC.

So there are at least two copies known, still an ultra rare book.

Do you remember the grade?

An amazing thing is that for many years the Captain America Annual was such an incredibly hot book, selling for thousands whenever it surfaced and almost no one knew that it was printed in Canada.

Mark

Are you submitting books to PGX now, Mark?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi - No, I just liked these issues and they are so difficult in decent shape. So I purchaced them already slabbed and wanted to see how they do. I checked them over carefully and was pleased.

The covers are just great and although I would love to have them in NM, I don't know if I ever will have the opportunity.

Take care

PS

By the way. Do you know anything about this company? Are they on friendly terms with CGC?

Any input is appreciated.

They are located in Oregon. Their website is www.pgacomics.com. Their grading in the 9.0 and up range is pretty tight. They have a tendency to overgrade in the 2.0 to 9.0 range, but they are apparently working on tightening up their standards in that range. Time will tell whether they can accomplish this.

Their restoration detection skills are sub-par. If they could get some real training in the area, they could solve this problem, but for now, it's a problem on high dollar books. They usually seem to be able to detect amateur color touch and some professional work, but I wouldn't trust them to be able to spot any well-hidden restoration done by a professional, and on a couple of books in the past, they have missed some tiny, well-hidden amateur color touch.

Having said that, books graded by them that are worth less than $1,000 seem to sell in the same price ranges as CGC books. Beyond the $1,000 range, they do get some resistance from collectors.

They are not on friendly terms with CGC.