• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Death Note pages

15 posts in this topic

Mangaka artist generally, especially well-known ones like you mentioned don't ever sell their artwork they did on a series. This is for a few different culturally reasons the Japanese have compared to American, and European comic artist who sell their work as part of their income regularly, and might even design a page layout so they can sell it for more later on.

You might be able to find a few random manga pages in the wild, but nothing that would be well-known like Death Note, or Berserk.

10 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Mangaka artist generally, especially well-known ones like you mentioned don't ever sell their artwork they did on a series. This is for a few different culturally reasons the Japanese have compared to American, and European comic artist who sell their work as part of their income regularly, and might even design a page layout so they can sell it for more later on.

You might be able to find a few random manga pages in the wild, but nothing that would be well-known like Death Note, or Berserk.

I picked up volume one and it is 400 pages with  no ads. There are 6 volumes in the set so figure 2400 pages roughly.

What do the artist do with all those pages? 

6 minutes ago, buyatari said:

I picked up volume one and it is 400 pages with  no ads. There are 6 volumes in the set so figure 2400 pages roughly.

What do the artist do with all those pages? 

Hold.   Lone Wolf and Cub is well over 6000 pages and not a one is on the market.

Which explains why you and I don't have any luck with certain artists!

On 3/16/2018 at 9:38 AM, DeadpoolJr. said:

I've never heard the reason why they don't sell their artwork. Do you know the cultural reason why they don't sell? I would be interested to know.

4 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I've never heard the reason why they don't sell their artwork. Do you know the cultural reason why they don't sell? I would be interested to know.

Because, in Japan, if you buy a page of original art, you own the copyright on this page.

10 hours ago, NicoV said:

Because, in Japan, if you buy a page of original art, you own the copyright on this page.

He doesn't seem to come out and say that you are for sure selling the copyright if you sell the original work, but he does seem to suggest it was that way historically (and possibly still)....

thanks for sharing that.   Verrrrrrrrry interesting

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

He doesn't seem to come out and say that you are for sure selling the copyright if you sell the original work, but he does seem to suggest it was that way historically (and possibly still)....

thanks for sharing that.   Verrrrrrrrry interesting

I saw it is more as "moral" than "legal" transfer of ownership. Meaning, if you buy some manga OA and then try to publish it yourself (in a non-exempt manner)...don't be surprised if you get a cease-and-desist letter from somebody's lawyer!

6 minutes ago, vodou said:

I saw it is more as "moral" than "legal" transfer of ownership. Meaning, if you buy some manga OA and then try to publish it yourself (in a non-exempt manner)...don't be surprised if you get a cease-and-desist letter from somebody's lawyer!

That's the impression I had as well. It seems to be a perception thing. I don't think the artwork is the literal copyright, but the artists see the art as part of the copyright and (according to the video) usually leave the art in the hands of the publisher who is the copyright holder. That was my take away at least.

47 minutes ago, CartoonFanboy said:

That's the impression I had as well. It seems to be a perception thing. I don't think the artwork is the literal copyright, but the artists see the art as part of the copyright and (according to the video) usually leave the art in the hands of the publisher who is the copyright holder. That was my take away at least.

AGreed, but the question is how did that perception build up?    Seems to me like it probably built up that way over a lot of time, and that historically, having the physical art to a story may have been as good as having the IP.    I'm talking 50, 100, 200 years ago.. leading to the attitudes today being so pervasive.   Not that manga was published 200 years ago so far as I know, but he did say the same train of thought applied to novels, so that's where this would have started... hundreds of years ago.   Ultimately I guess the key point is the publishing companies generally own them due to differences in the way the publishing industry does business there. 

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

AGreed, but the question is how did that perception build up?    Seems to me like it probably built up that way over a lot of time, and that historically, having the physical art to a story may have been as good as having the IP.    I'm talking 50, 100, 200 years ago.. leading to the attitudes today being so pervasive.   Not that manga was published 200 years ago so far as I know, but he did say the same train of thought applied to novels, so that's where this would have started... hundreds of years ago.   Ultimately I guess the key point is the publishing companies generally own them due to differences in the way the publishing industry does business there. 

Let's allow that different countries (or regions since borders over long periods of time are fluid but typically tribal attitudes aren'ts...as much?) grew their IP laws in different ways and probably from different assumed starting points. I think it's correct to take manga IP as being a subsection of the broader author IP matter and, here's where we may diverge East vs. West, I know in the UK/Western tradition going hundreds of years back - publishers were "assigned" the right to print ("copy"right) by the government or a similar ruling body. I don't know if this was the case in the East, Asian Tradition, whatever you want to call it, whatever may be the case. But anyway "our" western view at present is derived from progress made against that model, not sure theirs was also.

On 3/23/2018 at 1:16 AM, NicoV said:

Thanks for that video. It's something to think about. Especially with the fairly recent Artist Edition books over here and how I believe IDW and others search out original artwork for those books if the publisher doesn't still have it in their possession. We seem to be very relaxed about the artwork once the job of it being in the comic is finished.