• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pioneer Age original art anyone?

7 posts in this topic

There is no Pioneer Age forum here, so I thought I'd post this in Golden Age.

I bought this piece at a chartity auction for about $100 back in 1994 and promptly forgot about it. While looking through the back of the Overstreet guide recently, I noticed some Pioneer Age artwork that reminded me of this piece and went to dig it out of the closet where I had left it.

I wound up taking this piece out of the frame it had been in when I bought it. I had to remove some decrepit masking tape from the top edge of the piece, but the tape came off easily with a hair dryer and the adhesive and most of the adhesive stain came off with a little work with some Heptane.

Anyway, this piece used to belong to Stanley Mosk, long-time California Supreme Court justice. His former wife used to donate stuff to the charity auction at my law school every year, and this piece was what she donated in 1994.

This is an original etching that was published by S.W. Fores in April 1798, in a collection called "Folios of Caracatures Lent for the Evening." If you want to see fine detail, there is a link to a huge scan of the piece right above the image embedded in this post. The line in the middle of the scan is not really there. The piece is so big I couldn't scan the whole thing in one shot, so I had to scan each half separately and then join them together (which caused this line). Just ignore it.

LINK TO LARGER IMAGE

folios-small.jpg

So.... nobody likes Pioneer Age art? 27_laughing.gif

They aren't wearing blue and red tights so who cares? poke2.gif

Really though...

It's interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think that's the publisher, not the artist. You can find more of them if you search for "folios caracatures lent evening" (omit quotes).

So.... nobody likes Pioneer Age art? 27_laughing.gif

I love that historical stuff. thumbsup2.gif

Here's the only S.W. Fores illustration I could find on Google...

IM.0114_zl.jpg