• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Kevin Davenport Memorial Grading Contest Screaming Room

82 posts in this topic

Who gets a 9.8 with a color breaking spine break? Christo_pull_hair.gif

hi.gif I have two of them.

Remind me never to buy CGC 9.8's. sumo.gif

Don't ever buy CGC 9.8's.

Except on Tuesdays, during a month with an odd number of days, when it's partly cloudy.

poke2.gif

Who gets a 9.8 with a color breaking spine break? Christo_pull_hair.gif

hi.gif I have two of them.

By definition, a 9.8 does have some flaws, that's why it's not a 10.0.

I have a number of modern 9.8s, and yes, some copies have very tiny stresses or bends. You can see tiny flaws upon IN-HAND inspection.

BUT, these flaws are so small, that it's virtually impossible to make them appear on a scan. Or, they should be tiny non-colorbreaking bends that also don't show up on scans. My thinking is that a SCAN of a 9.8, should look PERFECT.

Any flaw allowable in a 9.8. should be so tiny that it won't show up in any normal sized scan.

So, when I CAN see color loss at TWO corners and colorbreaking spine stress, my thinking is the book is automatically precluded from being a 9.8... ESPECIALLY when it's a modern! frustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifsign-rantpost.gif

Cue the violin . . . Maestro? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

hi.gif

No smack talking. 893naughty-thumb.gif He is doing exactly what he's supposed to be doing in this thread. The whole point is to have a screaming room where you can let off steam without someone else talking [#@$%!!!] to you. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I have a number of modern 9.8s, and yes, some copies have very tiny stresses or bends. You can see tiny flaws upon IN-HAND inspection.

BUT, these flaws are so small, that it's virtually impossible to make them appear on a scan. Or, they should be tiny non-colorbreaking bends that also don't show up on scans. My thinking is that a SCAN of a 9.8, should look PERFECT.

Any flaw allowable in a 9.8. should be so tiny that it won't show up in any normal sized scan.

So, when I CAN see color loss at TWO corners and colorbreaking spine stress, my thinking is the book is automatically precluded from being a 9.8... ESPECIALLY when it's a modern! frustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifsign-rantpost.gif

I agree 100%, with the one amendment that any scan-visible flaw would need to be an almost imperceptible production defect that is allowable in grade.

Cue the violin . . . Maestro? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

hi.gif

No smack talking. 893naughty-thumb.gif He is doing exactly what he's supposed to be doing in this thread. The whole point is to have a screaming room where you can let off steam without someone else talking [#@$%!!!] to you. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Oh . . . I get it -- A catharsis! insane.gif

Is there an hourly fee? 27_laughing.gif

I agree 100%, with the one amendment that any scan-visible flaw would need to be an almost imperceptible production defect that is allowable in grade.

What if it's a really great scanner that can pick up just about anything? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif (I know that they really don't exist, but just curious)

And I wonder if you people really are person_without_enough_empathying about the grade, or if you are all just upset that I got it right? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Now I don't want to hear anything about me person_without_enough_empathying about the Round 11 grade, cause you guys sure are person_without_enough_empathying about this one. 893naughty-thumb.gif

What if it's a really great scanner that can pick up just about anything? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif (I know that they really don't exist, but just curious)

And I wonder if you people really are person_without_enough_empathying about the grade, or if you are all just upset that I got it right? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Now I don't want to hear anything about me person_without_enough_empathying about the Round 11 grade, cause you guys sure are person_without_enough_empathying about this one. 893naughty-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif Believe me, no one gives a [#@$%!!!] whether you got it right or not.

Hobby, I think I can speak for 99.99% of the forum constituency when I say that we don't care what you got right or wrong, just as no one cares about what I or anyone else got right or wrong in the contest.

27_laughing.gif Believe me, no one gives a [#@$%!!!] whether you got it right or not.

Good.

Hobby, I think I can speak for 99.99% of the forum constituency when I say that we don't care what you got right or wrong, just as no one cares about what I or anyone else got right or wrong in the contest.

It was supposed to be a joke. makepoint.gif

...and as I said in Round 11: You forgot this! stooges.gif

poke2.gif

...and as I said in Round 11: You forgot this! stooges.gif

poke2.gif

whatever you say thumbsup2.gif

Sorry for the slow response, Hobby. My wife and I went out for a quick bite to eat. I mentioned your grade to her, our waiter, the hostess, and a pan handler in the parking lot. They didn't care either. stooges.giftongue.gif

In honor of all those who said I was person_without_enough_empathying in Round 10, and then went on to [#@$%!!!] about Round 12's 9.8 grade ........

wahmbulance.gif

Eff-ing hypocrites. By the way, whoever made this nice banner, the actual word is spelled ambulAnce, not ambulence. So in that case, I better give a

stopcrying.gif

Wow, that is fun! I see now why you guys give me such a hard time on occasion. thumbsup2.gif