• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nerd thoughts - part one

6 posts in this topic

Is Rob Liefeld secretly sad that Deadpool is only popular because of how self-aware of how ridiculous he is?  Seems like if you create something "totally serious, you guys" and then it only works as a joke... well... hm

3 hours ago, Jayman said:

I thought I remembered hearing that Deadpool was created as a joke response to the character Deathstroke? (shrug)

Deadpool didn't become "this" Deadpool until 1997. When he was Liefeld's Deadpool, he was an unfunny villain, and blatant ripoff of Deathstroke.  The name Wade Wilson was selected to "parody" Slade Wilson, but it wasn't funny.

The successful version of Deadpool occurred when they got Liefeld out of there.

21 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Deadpool didn't become "this" Deadpool until 1997. When he was Liefeld's Deadpool, he was an unfunny villain, and blatant ripoff of Deathstroke.  The name Wade Wilson was selected to "parody" Slade Wilson, but it wasn't funny.

The successful version of Deadpool occurred when they got Liefeld out of there.

The Joe Kelly issues.

4 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I thought I read somewhere that Lobo was created as a parody response to all of the 90's style shoot em up "grim and tough" heroes?

...And then the fans dug him for what he was once he ditched the colourful jumpsuit for the biker look.

Very similar in look in his 80s Omega Men appearance to another, earlier Giffen-created character from Bronze Age Defenders, Lunatik...

latest?cb=20170202084342

Edited by Ken Aldred