• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Everybody- but Everybody- Loves Scribbly!

25 posts in this topic

At least, that's what it says on the cover of some of the issues.  It's certainly true in my case; Sheldon Mayer is one of my two all-time favorite comic book creators.  (Walt Kelly is the other.)  While the character is best know for the stories co-starring the Red Tornado, I also love the solo series that DC ran from 1948 to 1952.  And today, my 20+ year quest to put together the whole run is finally completed.  Next step:  Keep working on the early Dell appearances of the character, since the run in All-American is pretty much impossible.  Although I'll keep looking for those when I can as well, of course.

Scribbly_01.jpg

Scribbly_02.jpg

Scribbly_03.jpg

And the handful of other books that had inventory from around the first cancellation.  Or, in the case of the Buzzy #39, a story that actually concluded the overall arc in #14- even if it was published a month before the #14!  It actually works as a stand-alone story pretty well, but it's also clear where it was meant to appear.

Scribbly_12a_Binky_15.jpg

Scribbly_12b_Buzzy_32.jpg

Scribbly_13a_Buzzy_33.jpg

Scribbly_13b_Buzzy_34.jpg

Scribbly_14a_Buzzy_39.jpg

2 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

What was the final issue needed for your set and how did you get it ?

As I said above, it was the #5.  A win off the bay.

I've been down to just needing the #5 for a couple of years.  It's actually not a terribly rare book as the series goes, but for some reason it seems to have survived in better shape than most issues.  There have pretty much always been some copies available, but more than I wanted to pay compared to what I spent on the rest of the run.  So I focused on the other issues as they turned up, figuring I could get the #5 later.  Then it's just been a waiting game... as long as there were several copies I knew of for sale, I could wait for one more my speed to show up.  If it had dropped to one copy I knew of, I would have jumped on that one; they were all more than I wanted to pay but not more than I was willing to pay to complete the series.

37 minutes ago, sagii said:

Congrats!

#10 is the only Scribbly issue I own, it has an almost 'Peanuts' vibe to it. 

Binky, Buzzy, Scribbly ... I always get these series mixed up.  Any one have a thought on which might be the hardest to assemble?

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Binky, Buzzy, Scribbly ... I always get these series mixed up.  Any one have a thought on which might be the hardest to assemble?

Buzzy #70 is notoriously hard to find; I think it was the last issue Ian Levine needed to complete his collection of all the DC’s.  I believe a few copies have surfaced since then, though.  Given that and the length of the run, I suspect it would be the trickiest.

Leave it to Binky had a similarly long run, but started and ended later.  I would guess it’s the easiest.

Scribbly probably falls in the middle.  It’s a much shorter run, which is easier in that regard, but that also suggests it sold less.  Sheldon Mayer fans and the fact that it’s definitely a DCU character, even if Ma Hunkle doesn’t show up, means it is relatively more in demand, even if it’s still a bit obscure by modern standards.

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I think the toughest DC Teen series to assemble is the shortest one: Everything Happens to Harvey. 8 issues in all I believe. @OtherEric may agree...

On 3/24/2018 at 7:44 PM, Silver said:

Congratulations OtherEric. While aware of the series, I have never read an issue. I agree with you about Sheldon Mayer, he was a great. Do you have the Three Mouseketeers as well?

Sorry for the late response.  I've only got 1 and 8 from the Three Mouseketeers original run, but I have all of the early 70's reprints.  So I've seen all of Mayer's work on the series, but still want to track down the originals one of these days