• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Comic Shop - Frustration - MCS

25 posts in this topic

First off, let me say that I like MCS.  Their comics (other than consignment items), I believe to typically be fairly priced and their grading is spot on (at least IMO).

So why am I frustrated?

It is there "Want List" service.  On their web site it states, "When you add an out-of-stock issue to your want list, we will notify you by email whenever the issue comes in stock. You can also add an in-stock issue to your want list to track it for purchase at a later time." 

I have several books on my "want list" and MCS does not seem to email me when they get them in stock.  In the past, I have contacted customer service about this and even directly communicated with Conan via PM on these boards.  Yet, regardless of the promises, I still am not receiving emails when books on my "want list" become available.  In fact, on Friday, 03/23/2018, I once again found a book listed on eBay (by MCS) that is on my current "want list".  Oh yeah, and before anyone asks, I did check both my email inbox and spam folder.

I do not understand why MCS has customers take the time to create "want lists" if they are not going to notify them when the items become available.

I am curious if anyone else has run into this problem with MCS or am I the ONLY one having this issue?

Dang that's disappointing.  MCS is top notch and my advice to them is, drop the want list.  If it's not feasible to keep up with it, why annoy customers?

5 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I am curious if anyone else has run into this problem with MCS or am I the ONLY one having this issue?

Yes.  You are it.  Get on with life.

4 minutes ago, kpaqu1 said:

Have you set your desired grade? If you're looking for a VG and the grade is set at VF or better you won't get an email. For me they email once per day. Always early morning.

I just went to my account and doubled checked.  I have it set for "no minimum grade" on every book on my list.

Thank you for the suggestion and for letting me know that at least it s working for some of MCS's customers.

I really like MCS and I hope they will one day resolve this issue.  I agree with KAV that as a general rule they are a "top notch" organization. 

it usually takes about a day for you to receive a notification if a book becomes available. I've noticed that I typically get an e-mail around 7:00 a.m. if a book does become available. 

1 minute ago, deadleg said:

it usually takes about a day for you to receive a notification if a book becomes available. I've noticed that I typically get an e-mail around 7:00 a.m. if a book does become available. 

Perhaps this is the problem, if in fact it takes an extra day to notify "want list" customers.

Perhaps they are listing books on eBay, before notifying "want list" customers.  Then if I see the book and buy it the same day it is listed, I suppose they would never end up emailing me, since it is no longer available.

Those people who do not rely on the want list may sit tight and watch any desirable books available on the new stock. The books are taken quickly in the morning or evening on the scheduled times. Those books were taken in less than hour - sometimes in few minutes. Mostly the new stocks are shown in the morning or early evening -- too many surprises unpredictably or unexpectedly I missed them. I will try to set VG on the want list but there are too many VG copies that gave me false hopes. Sometimes, I get luck.

20 minutes ago, Bill C said:

I get email notifications about stuff on my want list, but I get an email maybe once every few months or so (I dont have many books on my want list)

I've only ever gotten one email about a book I had marked,but it's only a few and they are oddball tough books.Was happy to grab the one they did notify about though.I also don't look anywhere else(but here),so i'd miss if they showed up on ebay like Hudson said.

12 hours ago, darkstar said:

In my experience the want list on every major comics retailer site is a complete failure. 

I have a want-list with Highgradecomics.com, and Bob has e-mailed me when he gets an item on my list in his inventory.

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

I have a want-list with Highgradecomics.com, and Bob has e-mailed me when he gets an item on my list in his inventory.

I'm not talking about dealers. I'm talking about stores like MCS, Graham Crackers, Mile High, Dreamland, etc. 

4 hours ago, namisgr said:

Thank you.  

I think I will try setting up a want list with Bob, although I am guessing many more comics flow through MCS than through highgradeconics.  

I will also add, that I have done business with Bob in the past and would recommend him.