• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Following Up On Old Stories

8 posts in this topic

The purpose of this thread is to follow up on old stories relating to comic collecting.  Specifically, I'm curious about a story I read in a 1974 newspaper article about attorney Donald Maris.   It mentioned he'd bought a "Whiz No. 1" for $230 sometime around 1970 or so.   But, what caught my eye is that the newspaper article states:  "Last year, with another friend, he bought 3,000 comic books, some of considerable value.  Originally they were collected by Gold Key Comic Book Co. to keep tabs on other publisher's products."  Anyone know anything about this?  Were there Gold Key or Dell file copies of other publisher's comics?

Mitch and Maris, all in the same cool newspaper article! Interesting how they mentioned the plan to make reprints, noting that while copyrights had lapsed in some cases, trademarks may not have. Pretty thorough for any given newspaper article at the time, though they seem to have pictured Supes #1 when referencing Action #1. Or rather, they couldn't source a picture of an Action #1. All good. :)

Edited by originalisbest
added words

Don lives in Dallas and I see him at the OAF Con every year. He used to put on the Big D Collectibles Shows in the 80s and 90s. He bought a barn full of publisher file stuff, advertising, and comics in the early '70s. He sold most of it to Geppi in the late 80s. All of the cool 1940s comic advertising posters and ad slicks in the Geppi Museum came from Don.

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Don lives in Dallas and I see him at the OAF Con every year. He used to put on the Big D Collectibles Shows in the 80s and 90s. He bought a barn full of publisher file stuff, advertising, and comics in the early '70s. He sold most of it to Geppi in the late 80s. All of the cool 1940s comic advertising posters and ad slicks in the Geppi Museum came from Don.

Thanks!