• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

British Priced comics

5 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Kennyseaward said:

I have a good collection of silver age comics - 1974 TO 1979 most marvel titles. These are almost exclusively priced in pence ie. 35P. Does this affect the values in the US/ebay market?

Hello Kenny. I see it's your first post, so firstly, welcome!

You've posted in a section that covers grading and restoration questions,  so you may not get many more responses after mine.  Perhaps try the section titled "Newbie Comic Collecting Questions" if you have any more.

The good news is I spotted your question,  and know a little about pence books. So, let's see what we can establish to try and help you. First up,  the silver age refers to 1960's books. Books dated 1974 to 1979 would be classed as 'bronze age'. Next, all first printing Marvel pence copies dated 74 to 79 would be priced between 7p and 12p.  There are no pence variants (i.e. non-reprint books) priced at 35p. 

So it may be that what you have are later reprints.

Best thing if you can, post some more info on titles and issue numbers etc. Pictures would be even better if you can work out how to do it. Reprints will have low value / interest to US collectors. Price variants tend to command a lower price than their cents cousins - as low as 50% unless they are key appearance books etc.

Hope this helps and good luck. 

47 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

You've posted in a section that covers grading and restoration questions,  so you may not get many more responses after mine.  Perhaps try the section titled "Newbie Comic Collecting Questions" if you have any more.

The good news is I spotted your question,  and know a little about pence books. So, let's see what we can establish to try and help you. First up,  the silver age refers to 1960's books. Books dated 1974 to 1979 would be classed as 'bronze age'. Next, all first printing Marvel pence copies dated 74 to 79 would be priced between 7p and 12p.  There are no pence variants (i.e. non-reprint books) priced at 35p. 

Best thing if you can, post some more info on titles and issue numbers etc. Pictures would be even better if you can work out how to do it. Reprints will have low value / interest to US collectors. Price variants tend to command a lower price than their cents cousins - as low as 50% unless they are key appearance books etc.

Massive understatement!

17 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

:roflmao: Like the moon has a little to do with the tides.

When I read the first post I thought "I must let Marwood know about this... oh, wait..."

4 hours ago, AJD said:

:roflmao: Like the moon has a little to do with the tides.

When I read the first post I thought "I must let Marwood know about this... oh, wait..."

I've been known to book in to the Pence Palace once in a while, yes. For some reason, there are always plenty of rooms... hm