• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can one comic book with fungus infect other books?

5 posts in this topic

All,

Can one comic book with fungus spread the fungus to other books?  If so, what is the best way to prevent it?  Do bags help?  Are mylar bags better for preventing the spread of fungus between books than the poly bags?

I have never had this issue, but I know a bit about fungus.  Depending on the stage of the fungus, it could be releasing spores, which are airborne and number in the hundred thousands, if not millions.  I would quarantine the infected book, and make it as airtight as possible.  The fungus will eventually consume and destroy the book.

On 3/29/2018 at 10:11 AM, Neuberello said:

All,

Can one comic book with fungus spread the fungus to other books?  If so, what is the best way to prevent it?  Do bags help?  Are mylar bags better for preventing the spread of fungus between books than the poly bags?

I agree with everyone above..It's probably not safe to breathe around that comic. Fungus, black mold is dangerous stuff. I had a personal experience from handling an 'infected' old collection and it was not fun. Throw that comic out. Now !!!