• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Geppi gets robbed...back in 1977

6 posts in this topic

Interesting article in the WaPo from December of 1978.  Old-time Maryland collectors may also recognize the name of the other dealer in the story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1978/12/08/the-great-comic-caper/e5502788-912e-4e12-8920-f734676b92be/?utm_term=.2265e9b6916c

I remember the other robbery mentioned in passing at the end of the article.  IIRC, the books were stolen by one of Weimer's associates who worked for him part-time in his comic book store, which was my first LCS...

3 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Interesting article in the WaPo from December of 1978.  Old-time Maryland collectors may also recognize the name of the other dealer in the story:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1978/12/08/the-great-comic-caper/e5502788-912e-4e12-8920-f734676b92be/?utm_term=.2265e9b6916c

I remember the other robbery mentioned in passing at the end of the article.  IIRC, the books were stolen by one of Weimer's associates who worked for him part-time in his comic book store, which was my first LCS...

Thanks for posting that. Enjoyed the read. 

Curious if there’s ever been a mainstream story involving collectible comics that doesn’t include the “Golly-Gee Superman, Comics aren’t for kids anymore” kind of language? Really, really had to wade through a lot of that insipid purple- prose to find the basic skeleton of a fairly interesting story that could have been a phenomenally interesting story if the writer gave a f@&$s.

Edited by NoMan

I actually stopped reading the article part way through.

The writer is extremely condescending in tone.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

Thanks for posting that. Enjoyed the read. 

Curious if there’s ever been a mainstream story involving collectible comics that doesn’t include the “Golly-Gee Superman, Comics aren’t for kids anymore” kind of language? Really, really had to wade through a lot of that insipid purple- prose to find the basic skeleton of a fairly interesting story that could have been a phenomenally interesting story if the writer gave a f@&$s.

Washington Post. Lol. Writer wanted to show how witty he was. Comics and criminals have always gone hand in hand.