• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Spawn #229 Black and White (eBay NM???????)

20 posts in this topic

Hello, I recently bought this Spawn #229 B&W retailer incentive on eBay. Seller described the book as Near Mint with no visible defects on the book. Just wanted your opinion on what the grade would be. Personally, I'm considering asking for a refund as the book is nowhere near the description it was advertised as. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks again.

20180406_161818.thumb.jpg.b2c92cc750bb351ed792f77167661770.jpg

20180406_161853.thumb.jpg.6e6c69a1d7eff5340d9eac489ad2afc9.jpg

20180406_161912.thumb.jpg.b167c7f31595bde599a79e249ee2b1c0.jpg

20180406_161952.thumb.jpg.d119d14d559f883c986dec6b61a6f93a.jpg

20180406_162023.thumb.jpg.c037474cb0f17466c9e92f3d1b800031.jpg

"Seller described the book as Near Mint with no visible defects on the book."

That is where the seller messed up with his description. 

Based on that clause, you have a case for a return.

1 hour ago, newshane said:

"Seller described the book as Near Mint with no visible defects on the book."

That is where the seller messed up with his description. 

Based on that clause, you have a case for a return.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I already used the return option through the eBay money back guarantee. I think the colour breaking spine tick brings it down at least to a 9.4, and with all of the other problems, it would be about a 9.0; around a VF - NM (-) condition. 

I was really looking forward to adding this book to my collection though. Minaly because it is a real pain in the butt to find the Spawn #221 - #231 homage retailer incentive lot. Even when I do find one, it is usually not in good enough condition (looking for 9.8 candidates) or is incredibly overpriced. 

Thanks again @newshane :) 

Edited by Spawn1709

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Well, they aren't going to be cheap!

Good luck! :)

Thanks. Going to be a real pain, but I look forward to the challenge.

1 hour ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

NM on eBay is 8 to 8.5

Luckily the buyers I buy from grade books accordingly and haven't had a problem yet.

Always  cautious when it comes to eBay 

Ebay can be quite tough to get a high grade book on, that's for sure. I have had some luck and I am generally very careful with the books. Seller falsely labeled the book, and the pictures he sent me didn't show all of the defects, so it wasn't entirely my fault. But I definitely agree with you. Always be cautious when it comes to buying high grade raw books on eBay

Edited by Spawn1709

EBay will almost always side with the buyer so I wouldn't worry too much.  I have had that same thing happen to me a few times, pictures didn't show defects and emails from seller stating the book was perfect.   I have always gotten my money back and twice the seller did not even want the book back due to shipping costs.  A ton of sellers think if the book has the cover attached it's NM.  

On 4/8/2018 at 10:52 AM, Spawn1709 said:

Seller is calling me a liar and is saying that the book he shipped me was Near Mint. I have a feeling things are going to get ugly.

Been there, done that. 

Guy advertised as NM. Books arrived in the Fine range. Asked for a return. He refused and accused me of pulling the ole' switcheroo...told me that I was trying to keep his "nicer" books while sending back my filler copies. He got really nasty via email, despite my professionalism. 

I reported him to eBay on both fronts. In the end, he was forced to take the return. I got my money back, he got his poorly graded books back in the same condition in which they were sent. 

From what I can tell, this seems to be a fairly popular scam on eBay

Sorry you're going through this...but you'll end up getting your money back. It will just be a pain in the duff. 

Edited by newshane

2 hours ago, newshane said:

Been there, done that. 

Guy advertised as NM. Books arrived in the Fine range. Asked for a return. He refused and accused me of pulling the ole' switcheroo...told me that I was trying to keep his "nicer" books while sending back my filler copies. He got really nasty via email, despite my professionalism. 

I reported him to eBay on both fronts. In the end, he was forced to take the return. I got my money back, he got his poorly graded books back in the same condition in which they were sent. 

From what I can tell, this seems to be a fairly popular scam on eBay

Sorry you're going through this...but you'll end up getting your money back. It will just be a pain in the duff. 

Yeah, this isn't the first time I've dealt with someone like this. Back in July, I bought a Spawn Thank You variant off of someone. Had a pen stain on the front cover. Long story short, it wa sa pain in the butt, but I got my money back. 

eBay generally sides with the buyer anyways, so I'm not too worried.

3 hours ago, BrntWS6 said:

EBay will almost always side with the buyer so I wouldn't worry too much.  I have had that same thing happen to me a few times, pictures didn't show defects and emails from seller stating the book was perfect.   I have always gotten my money back and twice the seller did not even want the book back due to shipping costs.  A ton of sellers think if the book has the cover attached it's NM.  

Your absolutely right. I am 99% sure that this will be resolved and I will get my money back. I've had some sellers tell me to keep the book as well (books where only worth between $5 - $10, so no point in shipping back). eBay says that on April 11, I can ask them to step in. 

how did it end ?  I wonder if da book got that damaged edge in shipping ? Did he not pack it good enough ? I think da way 2 go is use da same sellers over and over and look for that gold star that E-bay gives to certain sellers.....always read prior reviews and stay away from sellers who have negative reviews.......people who read comic books tend to b calm and nice so when u read bad reviews made by comic book collectors thats a big Red Flag.

1 hour ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

how did it end ?  I wonder if da book got that damaged edge in shipping ? Did he not pack it good enough ? I think da way 2 go is use da same sellers over and over and look for that gold star that E-bay gives to certain sellers.....always read prior reviews and stay away from sellers who have negative reviews.......people who read comic books tend to b calm and nice so when u read bad reviews made by comic book collectors thats a big Red Flag.

Seller had good reviews. Something like a 98.7% positive feedback. Ebay told me they sent the seller a message for a refund, so I am expecting the seller to contact me soon. 

2 hours ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

My Lord .....what drama,,,,,,,,,what's the deal with this comic book ?  Was it a rare variant  cover or something ?  It just came out a couple of years ago . Why is it already worth a 100.00 bucks ?

Rare variant. 1:25 incentive when Spawn was already on a low print run. Between 500 - 700 copies exist. 

I have some Spawns ...i have 2 copies each of 1-7   I bought them of the shelf when they 1st came out back in da late 80's or whenever it was when Macfarline jumped to Image......but alas i soon quit collecting after that because i had to move 2 da big city and get an apartment and start clubbing so comic books went by da wayside for about 20 years.........i started up again with Spawn around i think issue # 138   

p.s. Long Live Spawn

1 hour ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

I have some Spawns ...i have 2 copies each of 1-7   I bought them of the shelf when they 1st came out back in da late 80's or whenever it was when Macfarline jumped to Image......but alas i soon quit collecting after that because i had to move 2 da big city and get an apartment and start clubbing so comic books went by da wayside for about 20 years.........i started up again with Spawn around i think issue # 138   

p.s. Long Live Spawn

The early Spawns had a huge print run, so besides maybe #1, they will probably stay very affordable, while some of the later issues (and incentives) are far fewer printed. BTW, is your spell check broke?? :roflmao: