• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any sellers here experiencing a slowdown in sales or resistance to price due to the recent stock market down trend?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Sorry, no. You're assuming everyone views their personal financials the same way as you. My comic money and my work paycheck are two separate accounts. They do not cross streams. Live within your means and you will be fine.

In regards to the window you are looking at, how does this graph look to you?

11.jpg

Is that my weight over the last decade?

58 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Wasn't just you. It was poorly communicated.

It was an attempt to garner a reaction from the OP as to the legitimacy of looking at the stock market as an indication of collectibles.

So, that's a graph of the stock market. Is it a day, week, year, decade?

Edited by ygogolak

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

It was an attempt to garner a reaction from the OP as to the legitimacy of looking at the stock market as an indication of collectibles.

So, that's a graph of the stock market. Is it a day, week, year, decade?

It's not what my portfolio looks like after this trade war hooha. :(

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Sorry, no. You're assuming everyone views their personal financials the same way as you. My comic money and my work paycheck are two separate accounts. They do not cross streams. Live within your means and you will be fine.

11.jpg

This is what my blood pressure looks like when Im sniping last second on my phone in a poor signal area and ebay shows me this 

loading.gif

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

11.jpg

Technical Analysis - Dilbert by Scott Adams

8 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Where? On eBay?

if so, I can tell you one thing I learned about eBay. They always play with sellers listings. Like. Always

they control who's listings they will boost and who they won't and they always move it around. I'm a top seller on eBay. Been selling for close to a decade. It's always up and down for me even though I have hundreds of listing, competitive prices and a top seller status. I learned to live with it. 

And no, I won't attribute it to a down time or any economy backlash crisis because I also have an Amazon store and I can tell you that 99 percent of the time my eBay store is slow, Amazon is still kicking a** as always. Amazon is a lot more stable for me sales wise throughout the year as opposed to eBay

But hey, it's their system so they make the rules. I learned to accept it

Is this what the "Best match" does? I never really understood "Best Match", it just seems very general to me and not at all precise, unlike the other shuffle options like ending soonest, price -high to low, newly listed, etc.

Never really looked at Amazon either with respect to collectible items of rarity.

I just see graphic novel and masterwork type comic book items. Do you have a link for Gold, Silver, and Bronze age books on Amazon? What am I missing?

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Is this what the "Best match" does? I never really understood "Best Match", it just seems very general to me and not at all precise, unlike the other shuffle options like ending soonest, price -high to low, newly listed, etc.

Never really looked at Amazon either with respect to collectible items of rarity.

I just see graphic novel and masterwork type comic book items. Do you have a link for Gold, Silver, and Bronze age books on Amazon? What am I missing?

As far as eBay is concerned - yes, eBay has a way to highlight certain sellers/listings over others. This is not a secret as they actually tell you this when trying to convince you to become a top rated seller. That's part of the "benefits" you receive as being a top seller. The only thing they don't tell you is that they can do this to anyone. And they do. "Best match" is their default setting. One which is set factoring a "secret formula" that "intelligently computes" preferred listings based on your search criteria. 

Yeah right.

They are running a very tight platform over there. Most of their research is done to promote what it is their best at - selling sellers listings. And that includes store campeigns, ads, listing insertion fees.. the works.

They make 100% profit from selling you their listings. They only make 10% from your sales  guess what they'll push?

in fact, they make LESS percentage from top rated sellers, so even though u get a top rated status, and a certificate in the mail, that top rated status doesn't mean anything if your listing shows at the bottom when a buyer logs to eBay and buys a random item he/she wants to get without much research put into it (price point/location etc). 

Amazon does pretty much the same thing but only with very popular items (mainly top selling books & electronics) not so much with slow asin items (yes, regrettably most secondary market comics are slow asin books) so you get the same fair chance any other seller gets when listing your books. And that means one thing and one thing only - price. If your comic is the lowest priced one, that means that when a buyer locates a book he wants, he sees the lowest priced one first and even has an option to buy without even knowing he's getting it from you. Rarely do buyers on the Amazon platform click on the listings and research condition and or look for pics.

again, I'm not advocating one platform over the other. It's just a shame that eBay runs such a monopoly with their listings/sellers and don't stick to what they promise sellers. But then again, maybe if they would, some sellers won't get ANY business at all

28 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

As far as eBay is concerned - yes, eBay has a way to highlight certain sellers/listings over others. This is not a secret as they actually tell you this when trying to convince you to become a top rated seller. That's part of the "benefits" you receive as being a top seller. The only thing they don't tell you is that they can do this to anyone. And they do. "Best match" is their default setting. One which is set factoring a "secret formula" that "intelligently computes" preferred listings based on your search criteria. 

Yeah right.

They are running a very tight platform over there. Most of their research is done to promote what it is their best at - selling sellers listings. And that includes store campeigns, ads, listing insertion fees.. the works.

They make 100% profit from selling you their listings. They only make 10% from your sales  guess what they'll push?

in fact, they make LESS percentage from top rated sellers, so even though u get a top rated status, and a certificate in the mail, that top rated status doesn't mean anything if your listing shows at the bottom when a buyer logs to eBay and buys a random item he/she wants to get without much research put into it (price point/location etc). 

Amazon does pretty much the same thing but only with very popular items (mainly top selling books & electronics) not so much with slow asin items (yes, regrettably most secondary market comics are slow asin books) so you get the same fair chance any other seller gets when listing your books. And that means one thing and one thing only - price. If your comic is the lowest priced one, that means that when a buyer locates a book he wants, he sees the lowest priced one first and even has an option to buy without even knowing he's getting it from you. Rarely do buyers on the Amazon platform click on the listings and research condition and or look for pics.

again, I'm not advocating one platform over the other. It's just a shame that eBay runs such a monopoly with their listings/sellers and don't stick to what they promise sellers. But then again, maybe if they would, some sellers won't get ANY business at all

Thank you for explaining that concisely! I wasn't aware of that. I knew the Best Match shuffled a particular deck in a particular pecking order but wasn't aware of the dynamics governing the process and the order that process generates. I thought it was arbitrary, not really paying much mind to it as I'm a buyer, not a seller and I don't use the best match searches, instead opting mostly to search by the ending soonest criteria. Great explanation though and probably a mitigating factor in what I was seeing that sometimes didn't make complete sense until now, my attributing those fluctuations in price results solely to marketplace issues instead of "luck of the draw". Very illuminating and that explains a lot.

Edited by James J Johnson

4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

insertion fees.. 

greggy would gladly do this for free.

alf48211.jpg