• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 361 manufacturing "pick" holes on back and interior pages

26 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

The tears aren't from gripper, grippers are on a sheet fed press and these books were run on a web press. They are "folder pin tears" Covers are printed separate from the insides called "the guts" . With the cover to the 361, the folder pin tears were supposed to be trimmed off, but the tears were long enough it didn't get trimmed all the way since the book is trimmed to a certain size 

Hi Kevin, thanks for the information.    I just checked and you are 100% right.  The folder pin tears do not align with the internal gripper pokes.   I had assumed earlier that they were roughly lined up and one of the same defect.    They are completely separate.

are folder PIN tears considered a "deductible" defect using the 9.8 as a reference?

ive never seen so many gripper pokes on a comic.  They did an awful job on this issue.

i don't have access to the CGC registry, but are there any 9.9s or 10s in ASM 361 (i.e., would they allow such a manufacturing mess on a 9.9 or 10)?  

1 hour ago, dm3 said:

i don't have access to the CGC registry, but are there any 9.9s or 10s in ASM 361 (i.e., would they allow such a manufacturing mess on a 9.9 or 10)?  

It's not the registry you want to see, it's the census and EVERYONE has free access to it. 3 in 9.9 .

Screenshot (1106).png

Edited by Bomber-Bob

15 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It's not the registry you want to see, it's the census and EVERYONE has free access to it. 3 in 9.9 .

Screenshot (1106).png

Thanks again BomberBob.  It's working for me.      I won't be sending in my batch for a while, but when I get the grade back on it, I will post an update.   It will be interesting to see how they grade these tears.

on a separate note I noticed a lot less valiant universe comics in the CGC census (100s rather than 1000s). .  Is this because people are still in the process of getting them graded, lower print run (as an independent), or a combination of both? 

42 minutes ago, dm3 said:

On a separate note I noticed a lot less valiant universe comics in the CGC census (100s rather than 1000s). .  Is this because people are still in the process of getting them graded, lower print run (as an independent), or a combination of both? 

I think the main reason is it's not worth it. The Valiant books from the 90's are not that much in demand. Harbinger 1, Solar 10 (all Black Cover), and a few others are the exception.

17 hours ago, dm3 said:

Hi Kevin, thanks for the information.    I just checked and you are 100% right.  The folder pin tears do not align with the internal gripper pokes.   I had assumed earlier that they were roughly lined up and one of the same defect.    They are completely separate.

are folder PIN tears considered a "deductible" defect using the 9.8 as a reference?

ive never seen so many gripper pokes on a comic.  They did an awful job on this issue.

The folder pin holes are supposed to be there cause it's what pulls the paper through the folder. Some get bent and break off during the run and can tear the book.  Press operator isn't going to shut down and fix it unless it gets really bad. Printing is all about numbers with as little waste as possible., Collectors don't even enter a pressman's mind about condition. They just wanna keep the press running, punch out, go home, so they have a drink.