• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought this Avengers #57 at yard sale, Score or bust?

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, so I recently bought this comic at a yard sale for $85. I had a couple of questions. My main concern is the small tear/missing piece on the top left of the comic. It goes into the first page as well. Wondering if this is worth getting graded and wether I overplayed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

FDD57ADB-C574-4C0F-BA49-BA753E8194B0.jpeg

89A7EB00-7319-47DD-9AB4-B18CBD2C8645.jpeg

I wouldn't call it a score, but it's probably not too far out of line. I took a quick look on ebay and if you are patient you can get one in that grade range for a little cheaper. Yours is a lower grade copy, maybe a 3.5, but even so, you're not going to find that book for too much cheaper than you paid.

1 hour ago, jjara86 said:

Hello everyone, so I recently bought this comic at a yard sale for $85. I had a couple of questions. My main concern is the small tear/missing piece on the top left of the comic. It goes into the first page as well. Wondering if this is worth getting graded and wether I overplayed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

FDD57ADB-C574-4C0F-BA49-BA753E8194B0.jpeg

89A7EB00-7319-47DD-9AB4-B18CBD2C8645.jpeg

Besides the piece missing you have multiple, large, long creases on both the front and back cover. That large '10' on the front looks like somebody tried to erase it. The Back cover has some tears near the spine. I also see water damage on the top left Back cover corner. I'm thinking this is about a 3.0. It is not worth grading. If you bought it for resale, it will be a tough sell to get your money back. Sorry.

I think as far as the purchase price you did fine, but spending the extra money ($60 or so) to get it graded is not going to add enough value to it to justify the expense. Great key book, though. I'd just tuck it away in the PC if I were you.

I agree with the 3.0 grade and I do see a few $100 sales but $85 seems like full price to me.  The $120 price would have been a score for the seller.

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Ya can't even get a deal at a yard sale anymore...

That's right. I can't tell you how many times people price at flea markets and yard sales full book, yet their copies are absolutely in horrible condition. I think you overpaid for the book, but you take your chances when putting out bigger money. I would have haggled much more due to the damage. I hope there isn't mold on the inside back cover where the water stain is. Looks sort of like mold from here.