• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on Pressing/Grading for High Grade Moderns

4 posts in this topic

For new high grade books (variants or otherwise) in visually NM/NM+ condition do you usually press them to get the best shot at 9.8s or just send in and hope for the best?   Also if pressing for these do use express pressing or full?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, mmmkam said:

For new high grade books (variants or otherwise) in visually NM/NM+ condition do you usually press them to get the best shot at 9.8s or just send in and hope for the best?   Also if pressing for these do use express pressing or full?

Thanks in advance.

I think there's too many variables to give a standard answer.  Depends on the defects, the costs and quality of pressing, the ultimate goal (sell, keep, something in between), how much you spent on the comic initially, your risk aversion preferences, your own financial situation, and volume (might get discounts, but also it takes more $$).  I think ultimately its about doing some experiments and math, and ultimately doing what works for you.

I generally won't press comics I intend to sell unless its VERY obvious the defect can bring it up and its financially viable.  I'd rather just sell it raw and save the trouble and the risk (and tying up money).  But then I don't do a lot of volume.  Additionally, there is something called ' CGC prescreen' where they check for a certain grade and don't slab if it doesn't hit the grade.  You can consider that if you have the volume, and then reconsider pressing those that don't make it.  For me if it looks good enough (perfect), I sub it.  I do about 75%-80% hit rate, which factors into my math and financials.

1 hour ago, mmmkam said:

Thanks in advance.

The first step is to learn how to accurately grade comics on your own. The next step is to learn when a press can help, when it can hurt, and when it won't make a difference. 

Some people press everything. I don't agree with this approach. Lots of books are being pressed when there is no need to do so. 

In short, I try my best not to expose my book to moisture, pressure, or heat...all of which are used, to varying degrees, when a book is pressed. You also risk all sorts of damage, like popped staples and split spines. 

That being said, there are instances where pressing a book will be very profitable. It can also help out desperate people who play the registry 9.8 game, of which I was a former major player. 

Pressing is NOT a miraculous method. The learning curve can be steep and I wasted a lot of money before I became more judicious about improving my grading ability and building an understanding of how and when you should press a book. 

If you blindly press everything you submit, you will lose a lot of time and money. Learn how to accurately grade. Learn how and when pressing can help. 

1 hour ago, mmmkam said:

Thanks in advance.

You need to gain a little more expertise to see if the book can use a press. Just sending everything to be pressed first will be a gigantic waste of time and money. Revat's suggestion to prescreen is a more practical approach, especially if you are unsure about your ability to spot pressable flaws.