• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

new comics and the people who mangle them

52 posts in this topic

The girl at the register put two creases in the spine of almost every single copy because she grabbed each book by the spine when she scanned them. tonofbricks.gif

I would have left before she was even done mangling them and never gone back.

I caught a bad case of the modern bug yesterday, so I went to one of the local shops and picked up over $100 worth of comics (which did include a few TPB's). I was able to find a very nice copy of every book. I didn't cherrypick through all copies, but I found ones I was happy with. If I'm paying $2.50 - $3.00 per copy, I want nice books!

The girl at the register put two creases in the spine of almost every single copy because she grabbed each book by the spine when she scanned them. tonofbricks.gif

I hate being a mint freak for moderns. I didn't say anything, but it makes me feel like such a jerk.

Thats insane. I would have demanded to go back and pick out other books from the shelf and taught her how to hold comics properly! (Not that it's even that difficult Christo_pull_hair.gif All you need is a little patience and a little care)

I caught a bad case of the modern bug yesterday, so I went to one of the local shops and picked up over $100 worth of comics (which did include a few TPB's). I was able to find a very nice copy of every book. I didn't cherrypick through all copies, but I found ones I was happy with. If I'm paying $2.50 - $3.00 per copy, I want nice books!

I hate being a mint freak for moderns. I didn't say anything, but it makes me feel like such a jerk.

Thats insane. I would have demanded to go back and pick out other books from the shelf and taught her how to hold comics properly! (Not that it's even that difficult Christo_pull_hair.gif All you need is a little patience and a little care)

My comic guy told me about a customer he had who came in and bought a few recently released comics, that were really nothing special, even to a serial-speculator. He laid them gently on the counter (which took about 2 minutes). The owner then knew that he should carefully just move each one to the side so he could see the price and ring them up. He then went for a plastic bag, which the bags he uses keep comics pretty safe ... but the guy took the bag from him and said that he would bag them himself. And he carefully slid them into the bag.

Now, yeah, I can understand this if he were buying $30+ books from the shelves behind the counter, but there were just common moderns that had just been released in the last month, like the latest issue of Hulk, etc. Nothing he purchased that day would have been anything worth sending into CGC to try to get a 9.8. This guy was just a FREAAAAAAK!

a little bit OT here, but today i watched the devastation as an old lady went through the new comic racks looking for a batman comic for her grandson. taking each one out, gasping at the price, and shoving it back on the rack, making sure to fully mangle each and every one.

ultimately the owner showed her the "younger readers" batman comic comics (which are always mangled anyway, of course) and that seemed good enough

I was very tempted to point her to the 50 cent bin where I'm sure there are some early 90s batmans, but a 70 year old lady crawling around looking through the bin would have been unseemly

with new comics being $2.50 - $4.00+, and many shops being happy to give you a bag and board with each purchase of a new comic at full retail, why not just have them bagged and boarded on the rack, maybe leave one out there to get mangled and looked at?

at full retail, i want a 9.4 - 9.8 copy even if i have no intention of ever slabbing or even selling in the next 20 years

a lot of stores do this. They leave one "reading copy" and the rest are bagged and boarded.

Really? Of the dozen or shops I have been to in the last few years, I have NEVER seen this. It's a good idea though, and I wish more places would do it.

My LCS bags and boards everything the put onto the shelves. So, maybe it is just a midwestern thang. I guess that's why I spend so much damn money there? insane.gif

I live in Chicago. confused-smiley-013.gif

I live in the UK. You go in and the owner offers you crumpets and tea. We sit around and have a jolly good chat with our pinkie fingers hoisted in the air. insane.gif

I was just sitting down to a cup of tea myself. insane.gif

I live in the UK. You go in and the owner offers you crumpets and tea. We sit around and have a jolly good chat with our pinkie fingers hoisted in the air. insane.gif

British wannabe makepoint.gif

Eh confused-smiley-013.gif That's what happens when 90% of the people I see or interact with on a daily basis are from countries that were at one time occupied by the British. flowerred.gif

Eh confused-smiley-013.gif That's what happens when 90% of the people I see or interact with on a daily basis are from countries that were at one time occupied by the British. flowerred.gif

I remeber a quote from an old school book saying;

"The sun never set on the british empire"

How coudl you let such a puny sized country own so much poke2.gif

Anyway back on topic! Don't you just love it when you get stands with books lining each shelf but they overlap each other? Most of them get bent forward to see what is behind

Christo_pull_hair.gif

I live in the UK. You go in and the owner offers you crumpets and tea. We sit around and have a jolly good chat with our pinkie fingers hoisted in the air. crazy.gif

I knew it!!! tongue.gif

Don't tell Goldust40 know I let his secret sunday morning ritual out gossip.gif

Anyway back on topic! Don't you just love it when you get stands with books lining each shelf but they overlap each other? Most of them get bent forward to see what is behind

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Man!

And I thought I was freakish about condition! I'm glad to see it's a more common trait than I had considered. insane.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Man!

And I thought I was freakish about condition! I'm glad to see it's a more common trait than I had considered. insane.gif

I hate seeing a book trashed. When i handle a book and i drop it or bash a corner it's like a kick in the balls to me. I'm a mint freak with not-so-mint books. That pretty much sums me up 27_laughing.gif

It's funny this thread started this week. I went to my LCS today to pick up this week's new issues and a few of my comics were slightly dog-earred. The worst was this copy of Star Wars Republic 76 that had a serious bend on the top part of the spine. I told the lady I would get my copy somewhere else in town since they didn't have any other copies. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Man!

It's NOT common. There's only two of you out there. insane.gif

I pick up the first issue on the shelves, and 99% of the time, that's the one I leave with. Unless it's really screwed up. I guess I just don't really care if the books I read on a monthly basis are in VF/NM condition. I don't plan on many of them really being worth much in the future. confused-smiley-013.gif To be honest, as long as any book I buy, even a modern key, as long as it's 9.0 or so (raw), I'm happy. (As long as I'm paying for a 9.0 and not the NM cost).