• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wasn't the Big Apple Con this weekend?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I was there on Saturday. Harley had some nice stuff, as usual. He had a Tec 18 3.0 restored, though a bit pricey for my comfort zone. The highlight of the Con for me was having lunch with @Sqeggs. Also a fun mini-Winsor McCay art “exhibit” of ~25 OA pieces, from a guy whose dad was a big time collector of this material back in the day. Other than Harley, Metropolis, Heroes, and Superworld, Gold was in short supply. Fewer books this year than last year IMO. 

10 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

I was there on Saturday. Harley had some nice stuff, as usual. He had a Tec 18 3.0 restored, though a bit pricey for my comfort zone. The highlight of the Con for me was having lunch with @Sqeggs. Also a fun mini-Winsor McCay art “exhibit” of ~25 OA pieces, from a guy whose dad was a big time collector of this material back in the day. Other than Harley, Metropolis, Heroes, and Superworld, Gold was in short supply. Fewer books this year than last year IMO. 

Weird coincidence:  The highlight of the Con for me was having lunch with @Zolnerowich!

I agree that it wasn't much of a con for GA buyers.  The Winsor McCay pieces were great.  Since the owner wasn't selling them, I guess Carbo may have given him the display space for free.  Overall, I'd say it was a disappointing show.  The dealers I talked with said their sales were good, but attendance seemed sparse to me compared with past years.  Carbo might be better off going back to having it as a one-day show.  I can't imagine that very many people who were there Saturday felt the need to go back on Sunday.

10 hours ago, Point Five said:

Glad you guys made it! Really wanted to go but family issues kept me away. Hopefully NYCC again in October.  :wishluck:

Yeah, if you can stand the craziness, NYCC is a can't miss.  I'm not completely sure I'll bother with the Big Apple show next year.