• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab damage?

91 posts in this topic

Now, do you honestly think Comic Link would let me return them or even pay for reholdering on these. No. Do you know why? A top label on the slab has nothing to do with value of the book.

I bought a book from comiclink that arrived with a badly damaged slab. I was offered (and I accepted) a full refund.

Wow, both times he wouldn't pay a reholdering fee for me. frown.gif

That's unacceptable in my book. I would have tried to completely undo the deal.

...that's actually below the 90 day average of 491.00,...but they did rain from the skies along with Iron Man #1's....Subbie #1's....Cap #100,...and Doc Strange #169's to name a few,....but look at the prices on IM #1's lately....Woo-Hoo!!!!

thumbsup2.gif thanks, I've been off the HG slabs for almost a year - funny it has a bit to do with Slab Damage 27_laughing.gif. I do miss GPA not because I need it to tell me what the book is worth, but its just so addictive and its fun to see some insufficiently_thoughtful_person who obviously didnt have GPA create a spike by paying 10X what someone paid last week for the same book. Ya I'm a cynical [#@$%!!!], what can I say --- guess I came to the right message board.

I'm the seller of this book. I go by the_mighty_queesht! what felix isn't saying is that my auctions clearly state that i cannot be responsible for uninsured books. it is in large, bold, italic, redcolored print.

on the invoice i say i strongly recommend insurance for this reason. he chose not to pay the $5 to insure a $450 book. i offered to pay for the reholdering including shipping - an offer he thought was acceptable on the emails he's been sending.

check my ebay feedback and see for yourself. 3 of my last 4 positives have described the careful packaging i use for each comic, whether it's $2 or $500. i buy a ton of books and hate getting damaged ones so i always take great care in packing when i am the seller.

the residue noted is from a metropolis comics sticker that i removed after purchasing the book.

please know that i have over 3,000 positive feedback. i have two negatives, one from a seller and one from a buyer. no neutrals. gotta be doing something right to have that high of a positive percentage. i work with any buyer who reports a problem but instead of waiting for me to solve this situation by paying for the reholdering this buyer took the argument to the streets to build support. Sellers, this buyer could buy from you too.

on his paypal receipt he said "please pack very carefully to avoid damage as i only collect mint books". reading that, i took even greater care with his package than i normally do.

it's a shame to see that grown people can't work out a difference without trying to incite a riot. this conduct damages ALL ebay transactions - not just mine - as sellers like me who have thousands of books to sell, both slabbed and raw, will stop listing after they get burned a few times like this.

i'd like to thank the friends of mine on the boards, many of whom have been great customers and friends since i started ebaying a few years back, for letting me know of this posted diatribe. If you are reading this, i'd like to thank you as well for giving me an opportunity to address these ludicrous comments. There is a reason why insurance is offered. Me, when i spend $$$ on comics i don't try to skimp on that. Amazes me that some do.

i welcome all comments through PM or through my ebay 'ask seller a question feature'. Further, i gladly provide a long list of board members and others who have been buying from me without trouble for your consideration and reassurance.

Thank you for your time and have a great day!

guy / the_mighty_queesht! sign-rantpost.gif

Hello all,

Thanks to everyone for their advice and input.

To Guy: I find it interesting that you have found the time to address this issue on a public forum, but have not had the time to answer my e-mails. If you read through this thread, you will see that I never once named you or your auction. It was not my intention to slam you or "take this to the street to build support". On the contrary, I wanted to hear from experienced buyers and sellers of CGC books to see what they thought IN FAIRNESS TO THE SELLER. I did name the book I bought and someone was intrepid enough to find the auction.

Regarding your offer to reslab, I clearly stated to you that I appreciated the gesture, but what I really wanted was to return the book. I did not communicate to you in any way that I found that offer acceptable in and of itself.

"on his paypal receipt he said "please pack very carefully to avoid damage as i only collect mint books". reading that, i took even greater care with his package than i normally do."

So this means you used five sheets of balled-up newspaper instead of four?

Look, we can agree to disagree here. I am well prepared to let PayPal decide. I was really hoping to work this out with you. My intent in posting here, again, was not to "out" you or damage your reputation. In fact, if the consensus was that all this was no big deal, I would have just dropped it.

Felix (aka NEXUS)

"Insurance required on all purchases $100 or over"

Did I miss something- why was he even allowed to opt out of insurance?

To me it all boils down to whether or not you packed the book well. If you packed poorly as Nexus relates, this is fairly inexcusable for a $400 book and you are liable, especially in light of your claims of great packaging and a charge of $10. I spend about 10 min packing any book over $100, and it is usually double boxed within peanuts or bubble wrap.

If you did pack well, IMO Nexus is SOL.

The seller claims it is my fault for not paying for insurance. My position is that insurance is irrelevant; the damage was not caused by USPS. The damage to the book either happened before he sent it (and did not disclose in his auction), or it happened due to inadequate packing.

BINGO.

Obviously the seller is at fault for " improper packaging", and responsible for the damage that inevitably occured.

Just because someone doesn't buy insurance, doesn't mean I can just send out slabs with stamps on them.

I've returned 2 slabs due to improper packaging which resulted in SCS.

I gave the sellers a choice. Either they failed to disclose the damage, or the book was damaged in transit.

They went with SCS. smirk.gif

BTW- WELCOME TO THE BOARDS thumbsup2.gif

"I've returned 2 slabs due to improper packaging which resulted in SCS."

Exactly how were they packed then?

In those cardboard boxes that sleeve a single CGC slab almost perfectly. Not much room for padding in there. gossip.gif

...So you're saying if it came in say a diamond box full of foam peanuts,...and it still had SSS,....you wouldn't have asked for a return?.... poke2.gif

...I'm sorry,...did I use an incorrect acronym?...I thought It was "Shaken Slab Syndrome"....whatever,...SCS then,...answer the question .......

...Yeah, yeah.....me too,...and the check's in the mail,...so what this really comes down to is negligence,... in your opinion is based on what you consider to be adequate packing for a slabbed book,....which may or may not be the same quality as anyone else,.....I remember a year ago there was a thread about using newspaper for packing,....I was pissed about someone sending me a book that was all smashed up cause it was packed in paper, and I was on one of my typical tirades.......and at least half a dozen forumites,...I recall Donut being one of them,(and I apologize if I'm incorrect , but I believe it was you),....swore up and down that IF used properly newspaper is more than adequate packing for a slab,....I myself abhor paper as packing material, but hey that's me,....so I guess it all comes down to......BUY INSURANCE ON EVERY PURCHASE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SURPRISED... frustrated.gif