• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thorpe and Porter Stamps???
2 2

36 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I can't find anything from CGC as to how they would treat them. Chuck at milehigh has a bit on it. 

Here is Chuck's view:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/information/grade.html

NEAR MINT
Writing: Only small arrival dates are allowed.
Rubber Stamps: Not allowed in this grade.

VERY FINE
Writing: Only arrival dates on front cover, or very small interior (or back cover) notes, such as a person's name, or price are allowed.
Rubber stamps: Neatly placed date stamps are allowed.

FINE
Writing: Only very neat, very small writing would be allowed. An example would be if someone penciled a small price on the inside first page of an otherwise excellent comic. That's not a big deal. But grease pencil or names on the cover are verboten.
Rubber Stamps: On the front cover only, a neatly placed international price stamp would be allowed. And this only if the comic were otherwise flawless. The only other stamp allowed on the front would be a small blue star. These were placed on comics by some newsstands to signify that a comic had been sold. Most comics sold in Stars & Stripes newsstands at military bases have this star. If either of these stamps were to appear on the back cover, that would also be allowable, but the standard for other potential flaws would not be as high. For example, a comic with a blue star neatly printed on the back could also have a small staple tear and still be a Fine.

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Maybe I'll try 'ask CGC' and give them another opportunity to ignore me :grin:

Done. Questions show as pending initially, but hopefully we'll get an official response :wishluck::

pa.thumb.PNG.413bc311e3b59bdaab56e777c4c4494d.PNG

@quicksilver - hope you don't mind the tag - as a UK seller, do you have a view on whether / how T&P price stamps affect desirability and eventual sale prices? Cheers 

Theoretically, they shouldn't, but in practice, I gave up even listing stamped copies on my site years ago, purely from a desirability viewpoint.

I sell them on ebay and expect to get at least 25% less than unstamped cents copies - apart from the pence stamped Detective # 359 I recently sold in CGC 4,.5 for £400 that is.

1 hour ago, quicksilver said:

Theoretically, they shouldn't, but in practice, I gave up even listing stamped copies on my site years ago, purely from a desirability viewpoint.

I sell them on ebay and expect to get at least 25% less than unstamped cents copies - apart from the pence stamped Detective # 359 I recently sold in CGC 4,.5 for £400 that is.

Thanks QS, that's in line with my experience. Looks like location plays a part, US opinion vs UK. 

17 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Thanks Roy for that uncharacteristically brief opinion! :grin:

@Redshade - what say thou? :taptaptap:

Hi Marwood, thanks for the call out.

When I win the lottery I am going to buy thousands and thousands of 60s American comics with the T&P stamp on them and I wouldn't worry too much about condition.

When I visit ebay and see an old beat up comic with the black stamps on them I always go into nostalgia mode and think to myself "I used to have that comic" and have visions of the piles of books that I used to own as a child.

This is all down to personal preference because, let's face it who wouldn't want to be eight again?

As far as I understand the general market then yes I would say that they are less desirable to the average collector and accordingly sell for less than virgin covers.

Now where did I put my lottery numbers?

@AJD HAHA that is just offensive placement. 

On the subject of UK variants...I also have a collection of UK publishers....know anyone who can help me out with what these are...and for the love of god what to do with them....

Thanks!

Greyson

DSCN1760.JPG

Well, there are some collectable issues there, and there are people around who collect foreign editions, so selling them wouldn't be too hard. Try posting in the thread below and see what happens... the Marvels will certainly find a new home. As for older books, like the Captain Midnight, board member @Komic Kazi has an amazing collection, and might be interested.

Oh, and if you have any UK Planet Comics issues, remember I saw them first! :D

On 5/3/2018 at 11:46 PM, AJD said:

Here's my nomination for the worst Thorpe and Porter stamp placement of all time...

image.jpeg.15a5011b66c0d2a0b80eb2f1bbd5be7a.jpeg

:applause:Ha! I like that. It shows that the stamper had a sense of humour :grin:

No reply from 'Ask CGC' I'm afraid. My question is still showing as pending after 2 weeks:

1970453366_askcgc.thumb.PNG.5fe4727ec396f78001acee640395d166.PNG

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

Tell GetMarwood that i like your new avatar .... (thumbsu

Thanks Craig. I did, and he told me to go and fly a kite. He's a scoundrel that one.