• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graded Slab Differences

11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I’m new to collecting CGC books and I’ve noticed some of the newer style slabs have inner wells and others do not. I read somewhere that CGC changed their slabs due to them causing comic “damage”. If this is true, which newer slabs should I avoid? Is there a date range to keep clear off? 

Most of the new slabs I own were graded between 04/2017 to present and one from 06/2016.

28 minutes ago, finalfan7asy said:

Hey everyone,

I’m new to collecting CGC books and I’ve noticed some of the newer style slabs have inner wells and others do not. I read somewhere that CGC changed their slabs due to them causing comic “damage”. If this is true, which newer slabs should I avoid? Is there a date range to keep clear off? 

Most of the new slabs I own were graded between 04/2017 to present and one from 06/2016.

The slabs without the inner wells are the ones to stay away from. Don't go by the dates, you want the inner well.

57 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The slabs without the inner wells are the ones to stay away from. Don't go by the dates, you want the inner well.

Just to clarify that I know what an inner well is, it’s that seam line that runs around the comic inside the slab correct (see attached photo)? 

I noticed my Uncanny X-Men 142 does not have that seam line and the book appears to be floating between the slabs. From what I can tell, it does not have that wavy appearance to it. Should I still get it reholdered?

B68FF774-23BA-43A6-8C24-DE31B0774F1B.jpeg

7769DB46-825D-434B-A7F8-A97306BCC86E.jpeg

Edited by finalfan7asy

The design of the holder without the inner well called for extreme pressure to hold the book in place. Sometimes this pressure caused waves to form on the book. Contact CGC and if they are still offering to reslab this design for free I would get it done. Though your book may be fine (without waves) now, it could happen in the future.

5 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The design of the holder without the inner well called for extreme pressure to hold the book in place. Sometimes this pressure caused waves to form on the book. Contact CGC and if they are still offering to reslab this design for free I would get it done. Though your book may be fine (without waves) now, it could happen in the future.

Good to know. What about other slabs that have an inner cavity like in the attached photo. Are those only for thicker books? I’ve seen them in old and new slabs.

66E65084-5ACD-49B6-BA96-EF4ED5E92EA7.jpeg

Edited by finalfan7asy

1 hour ago, finalfan7asy said:

Good to know. What about other slabs that have an inner cavity like in the attached photo. Are those only for thicker books? I’ve seen them in old and new slabs.

66E65084-5ACD-49B6-BA96-EF4ED5E92EA7.jpeg

That cavity is part of the inner well. It's to prevent damage to the corners in the event the book violently shifts. You want that cavity. It's been there since Day1 of CGC.

Yes, the cavity is a well. The book sits in it, sometimes needs a wedge to hold it in place and the lid covers the well. The other book you displayed was a lid to lid. The book doesn't sit in anything but limbo. Some didn't have problems. I think people whacked their copies around to cause problems on purpose back then like books shifting or staple tears. The waves are a whole other story.

Edited by Philflound

4 minutes ago, finalfan7asy said:

I’ve emailed CGC about a reholder. I’ll let you know if they are still honoring it.

I think you are better off calling CGC rather than E-Mail.